We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Forfar Botanists Garden  (Read 17635 times)

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Re: Forfar Botanists Garden
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 10:17:41 AM »
A very exciting project - and I love the spore and seed sculptures.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 06:30:48 PM »
Hi Tim well if you fancy a working weekens next spring lewt me know and sure all the help works wonders, we have been laying more sets recently but a frw showers delayed us a bit we were donated a citation stone to lay and have placed a time capsole in a hollow pipe under the slab cope. A few pictures cheers Ian the Christie kind
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 08:42:13 AM »
Hello all, we have spent the last couple of days laying the sets and planting up the edges was so tired I went to be early however we finished yesterday after another 11 hour shift. My brother Dave was the expert set layer I helped get him all the bite he needed and I put in the plants. David Wilson finished the wall with the window WOW stunning and he also finished the other wall. I am to on onsite today  finishing the planting and do more of a tidy up. Our open day on Wed is to be very special as we have a direct descendant of the Drummonds  James Meikle who will come and plant a Salix lanata (first written up by Thomas Drummond)  and Anemone drummondii, Dryas drummondii) I will post a few pictures later, some for now, cheers Ian the Christie kind
from Kirriemuir

angie

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 09:14:19 AM »
Ian what a lovely project and somewhere that I can visit easily. Isn't the stonework beautiful. Will look forward to see it develop.
Hard work but worth it. Lovely to see the pictures of people working in Scotland with blue skies above them, saying this we did have a lovely summer to enjoy our hobby this year, hope we have the same for next year.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 12:18:54 PM »
Hi again, Angie when you visit bring your gardening gear as we need some helpers to maintain the garden and yes we have had some really good days to work in but yesterday just finished watering and the heavens opened got soaked. I am posting some pictures taken this morning and I do like the whole garden now I felt that the stonework was just too much on ite own but now with some plants it is superb, cheers Ian the Christie kind.
from Kirriemuir

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 12:25:46 PM »
We plan to have a huge tidy up on Monday I need the weekend to recover but will be looking after the Wallis's from Wales the speakers at the SRGC bulb day we are in for a treat so please come. More pics from the garden
from Kirriemuir

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2013, 06:27:35 PM »
Hello all, we had a weekend away from the garden when we looked after the Wallise's from Wales the SRGC speakers for the Bulb day a set of very good lectures about bulbs and their habitat , we had a tour to Margaret and Henry's garden on Sunday the over to Cyril's for lunch, a great day indeed.  have spent the other time at the Forfar garden just to tidy up everything for the opening today really enjoyed meeting Thomas Meikle a direct descendant f Thomas Drummond we had hoped for Nigel Don a local M.P. he did not show up ???. I will post some pictures of what has happened over the last few days, cheers Ian the Christie kind
from Kirriemuir

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 06:31:14 PM »
Next Ian
from Kirriemuir

alanelliott

• Flora of Nepal
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2013, 08:35:02 AM »
Well Done Ian! Glad the day went off without a hitch.
Living Collection Researcher at the Botanics
Twitter: @alan_elliott

Liz Mills

• Immediate Past President
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2013, 08:59:18 PM »
Hi Tim

Was in Forfar yesterday at the official opening of the Garden.  It looks even better in real life than in the photos.  What a good job Ian C and his merry band of volunteers have done - lots of interesting plants and beautiful rocks and drystane walling.  If you ever come up to Scotland you'll need to make sure you go and see it - and come and visit me as well.

Hope lots of you plants from the Czech trip have survived - I'm getting ready to plant mine out tomorrow in my new (partially finished) crevice garden.

Greetings also to any of my friends who might be reading this.

Cheers, Liz

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2013, 10:17:08 PM »
Congratulations folks ! Great project , hope to visit it some time .....
Love such efforts  , it is a pleasure to see that such things are stil possible in this world .

Greetings to Liz , Ian and al friends ....
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2013, 06:06:28 PM »
Hi all, thanks for visiting these pages, I have had a weekend away doing other things but will be back to the garden on Wed to do some more work, cheers Ian the Christie kind
from Kirriemuir

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2013, 08:55:45 AM »
Hello all, I have been visiting the garden every week since my last post keeping things tidy unfortunately we have had quite a few plants stolen also people walking over the garden standing on the plants. We have also removed many bags of leaves which have been blown into the garden. We have planted quite a few bulbs Narc. Douglas Bank Willie Buchanans dwarf)  Iris Katherine Hodgekins and loads of Snowdrops as for the missing plants luckily I had spare ones here and for the last month have had no problems. We contacted the Angus Environmental Trust for funding to install CCTV a big NO to start with but once we met them at the site they have now agreed. The council want us to get planning permission which costs £180 they then wanted a professional drawing instead of the details from the company who are to install the camera. We have also had some problems with our seats some parentless persons managed to remove them from the metal frame luckily our son in law Steven was on holiday so he helped me put in bigger and better screws they will have a problem to remove the seats now we hope.  I have also been to Brechin Castle last week picked up a big old Oak tree root which is now part of the landscape it was very wet had snow that day however the idea is we will plant in between the roots when spring arrives. I post some pictures for now, more later,  cheers Ian the Christie kind.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 09:02:38 AM by ichristie »
from Kirriemuir

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2013, 09:00:12 AM »
Tree root, Ian
from Kirriemuir

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2013, 10:21:30 AM »
Ian - sorry to hear of the damage to the garden. Forfar obviously needs more botanists like some of the famous Scots of the past.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal