We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Stenomesson  (Read 4936 times)

biodiversite

Stenomesson
« on: December 18, 2007, 11:17:24 AM »
Please could you confirm my identification of this plant as Stenomesson variegatum ? I raised it from seed named as "Stenomesson or Chlidantus" and it is its first flowering...

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Stenomesson
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 10:45:17 AM »
Biodiversite and anyone else growing it....

What is the key to flowering Stenomesson.  I've had a couple of species for a number of years but have never managed to flower them at all.  They multiply just fine, but no flowers.  I have had them in sun, some shade, damp, dry, but obviously not the right combination of these factors!!  ::)  Any suggestions?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

SueG

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 10:54:52 AM »
I'd be glad of the advice too, as I have one which just sort of clings onto life and I've love to know how to encourage it to look more healthy.
Sue
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

biodiversite

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 12:34:13 PM »
As you see, I grow it in pot. During the summer, it is with the other tender bulbs and the succulent plants such as botanical Sansevieria : sun with some shade and water once a week but in great quantity.
For the winter, I keep it in a room at about 15°C, and the pot is next to the window.

This is only my way to do.

Do you confirm that it's S. variegatum ? I hope best photos in next week.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 12:48:00 PM »
I am no expert on these plants, Bio... Stenomesson/ Clinanthus etc..but this link to a PBS page may be of some help...
http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/pbs/2005-September/022881.html
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

biodiversite

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 01:21:30 PM »
Thanks Maggi. Then, I don't really understand if the right name is S. variegatum or Clinanthus variegatus, but the answer to the subject http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/pbs/2005-September/022882.html seems to say that the secret for the floraison is keeping the plant at quite cool temperatures : maybe I'm ok with 15°C...

Ezeiza

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 06:48:08 PM »
Hi:

The right name is Clinanthus variegatus. Clinanthus is the name for those "Stenomessons" with linear leaves, relatively easy to grow under warmish conditions.

Stenomesson is the current name for lorate leaved Stenomessons, a group notoriously fuzzy to grow and flower except under year round cool conditions.

Your plant is grown very easily in California Bay Area as a big pot plant.

Regards
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal