We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lesley's Gift  (Read 2193 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Lesley's Gift
« on: December 17, 2007, 11:55:26 AM »
Does this look familiar Lesley? It's one of three you sent me early this year when flowering in the SH had just ended and was just beginning in the NH, the other two are looking good but still sleeping peacefully. This one is still a little confused.

Lovely plants though, but I can't detect a perfume, maybe it will come out later next year when the weather warms up a bit. Can you remind me please of the cross you made to get Rose Window?

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Lesley's Gift
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 06:29:13 PM »
Hello David, I'm so pleased the primulas survived international travel and are growing well for you. What's a little confusion between friends? I'm that way myself almost all the time nowadays (and you're older than I, remember :)).

I'm sure the perfume will come, when they are flowering in mid spring and in good, warm weather though I've never had it under cover and the perfume may be stronger outdoors

I never "made" a cross. It was one of a batch of seedlings which grew from, incredibly, Primula x pubescens `Rufus.' When the seedlings grew on a little, this one's foliage was so obviously different, larger, thicker, indented, that I put it aside from the others to see what happened, as you do. The sister seedlings were all of pubescens type and in various shades of reddish and purplish brown, all very nice but not like `Rufus' and not like this one, which I called `Rose Window' eventually, for its pink colouring but also for its large, globular and quite formal head of flowers.

There was no possibility of a mistake. This was the first seed I'd ever collected from an auricula type primula and at that time, I had literally no others in my garden, except marginata and minima, so I couldn't have confused the seed.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal