We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Prettier alternative to Geum urbanum.  (Read 1224 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Prettier alternative to Geum urbanum.
« on: August 02, 2013, 10:52:21 PM »
Geum urbanum, known as wood avens or herb Bennett.  It self seeds itself all over my garden, completely unphased by the dry conditions.  But the flowers are small and yellow and I would really like something larger in red or orange.  I know there are cultivated Geums that fit the description but is there anything with the same vigour and drought tolerance that comes true from seed?  I'm looking either for a recommendation (a nice red or orange Geum that has run amok in your garden) or just break it to me gently if what I want just doesn't exist.     
Almost in Scotland.

Jonna

Re: Prettier alternative to Geum urbanum.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 09:34:56 AM »
Geum coccineum, Geum triflorum and Geum rivale are no cultivars and come true from seed. Geum triflorum doesn't give much seed here, but the others self seed freely.
zone 6 Belgium

Palustris

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 10:44:21 AM »
Geum Blazing Sunset fits the bill and it does come true from seed.
Want some? Let me know and I will collect some seed for you.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 12:57:45 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions and sorry for the delay in replying.  I note that Geum rivale is known as Water Avens.  Water anything won't last two seconds in my garden unless it is in the pond - which is very small.  I've killed-off Himalayan Balsam without trying before now.

So I think my first attempt will be with Palustris' suggestion of Blazing Sunset.  I would be very grateful for some seeds and will send a PM with my address details.   
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 01:21:16 PM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

Palustris

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 05:41:20 PM »
It does come true from seed by the way. Pity you are not a bit nearer, you could have a few plants as well.
Will go and collect some for you when it is a little dryer out there.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 07:31:02 AM »
Just to publicly say thank you to Palustris, who sent me a generous quantity of seeds.  I have sown them directly onto the earth , which I am keeping moist, and I am keeping my fingers crossed for some germination.
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal