We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Anemone nemorosa  (Read 29394 times)

Bjarne

Anemone nemorosa
« on: December 11, 2006, 10:11:58 PM »
A new  thread: Anemone nemorosa  :)

Here are some of mine:

A. n. Robinsonia

A.n. Vestal

A. n. Wildform from Risa, Norway
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 07:44:01 AM by Bjarne »
Bjarne Oddane
Jaeren, Southwest Norway

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
Re: Anemone nemorosa
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 10:33:08 PM »
Lovely pics Bjarne
Do they have a name?
Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Bjarne

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 07:46:57 AM »
Thank you Joakim  :) Now I have named them.
Bjarne Oddane
Jaeren, Southwest Norway

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 04:43:54 PM »
Dear Bjarne
I looked at Your web page and saw more lovely wild forms of nemorosa.
You are either lucky in finding them or a good searcher that looks at many to find the few. :)
What ever it shows that having the eyes open for the "common" flowers has itīs rewards.

Since I do not have any pics my self but saw a nice little thread about this in an other forum, I would like to share that link with You. I hope it is OK to link to other forums if it is in a proper subject.
The link is to a therad in a Swedish forum that deals with garden in general but this thread in perticular is about, Anemone nemorosa, hepaticas and pulsatilla vulgaris all plants that grows wild in Sweden.
There are som great varity even if the language might not be understood.
The direc link is to a talk about an anemone nemorosa called "under the oak" and You will have to press that link to see the picture.

http://www.alltomtradgard.se/forum/show.php?root=13&ID=677657&thread=677643&pid=677858
Hope You all will enjoy the pictures as I have done.. :)

Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Hkind

• Hannelotte's Garden
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 05:35:46 PM »
Joakim, There are lot of variants of Anemone nemorosa in the woods. But you have to crawl among them to detect them. Have a look at my A. nemerosa forms at http://www.abc.se/~m8449/anemone.html#nemorosa. The two first rows  and the second plant on the third row are forms I have found outside our house in Stockholm - most of them during one afternoon.

Hannelotte in Sweden

Hannelotte's Garden website:
http://www.abc.se/~m8449/

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 10:44:24 PM »
I have to admit that I have so far not studied them close enough to see the differences in nature.
I will have to do that this spring.
We even have a few of the extreem sorts in the garden but I have to look out so that they do not get run over by the "normal" ones.
I am starting to realize that if one look one find :) Not always what one is looking for but usually something that make it worth wile.

I have been looking at Your webpage many times Hannelotte and are happy to see the newer versions with more pictures. An improvment on an already nice page.
Good luck with the growing and add more pics as they appears (if I may be so bold and have a request).

I must admit that I am lucky enough to have the hybrid anemone lipsiensis (some do not belive that it is one sine they never seen it wild) growing not that far away from my home.
Hopefully I will be able to add a picture of it here.

Thanks for sharing

Joakim

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 04:50:05 AM »
I saw the Swedish "under the oak" anemone, but couldn't figure out how to see any
other pictures.  I pared back the url to http://www.alltomtradgard.se/
clicked Fotoalbum over in the list on the left of the screen, and then put
"Anemone" in a search box.  That brought up all the personal photo albums
with anemone pictures. 
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 08:50:01 AM »
Dear Diane
In the thread of "under the oak" there are more anemones as well as hepaticas and pulsatilla vulgaris.
Maybe You saw all the anemones already by searching the photo albums.
If not under the box where the picture are is a thead in red with titles like "dagens favorit sippa" and by clicking to any of them You get a new "box" where there is a link to click on.
I think that will work to see the different postings in that thread. (one has to click on the postings to see anything).

Hope it works

Kind regards
Joakim

Hkind

• Hannelotte's Garden
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 09:05:07 AM »

Joakim, I also find A x lipsiensis a nice plant and it would be fun to have a look at different forms of it 
There is an almost unknown, related anemone in Russia, Anemone uralensis - or Anemone x uralensis. It is assumed to be a hybrid between A caerulea and A ranunculoides ssp jenisseensis.   I asked Alexandra Berkutenko about it, since she is from the Ural, and she knew about A uralensis but had never heard of A caerulea. Neither did we find it in Flora of Siberia.

I didn't find any images of A uralensis at the net, but there were these drawings: http://zapoved.ru/?act=oopt_rb_more&id=395  Looks nice, doesn't it? Since one week I am the happy owner of four roots of different forms of this little beauty :D.

If Olga should read this thread, I would appreciate if she could have some comments on A x uralensis and A caerulea.

Hannelotte in Sweden

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 10:22:48 AM »
Lovely plant is seems Hannelotte
Especially if it has such a diverse colour scheme :)
Hope You have four verry different calours on your plants, but might be to ask for too much. :) (white red pink and yellow) Hope You post picsa when they bloom.

Have any one seen any "spontaneus" A x lipisensis were there are both A. nemorosa and A. ranunculoides? There are persons tha have both but never have seen the hybrid and hence believe that A x lipsiensis is a spieces. I have only seen A x lipisensis in the wild in one place and the botanical garden in Lund is full of them as if the were "common" A. nemorosa! Has any one made an artificial A x lipsiensis?

Could it be that there is verry few cases of the hybrid due to slightly different flowering times?
Interestng to hear more about this from people with more knowledge than me.

Interesting thread I mus say :)

Kind regards
Joakim
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 11:14:12 AM by Joakim B »

Hkind

• Hannelotte's Garden
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 11:33:32 AM »
Joakim, The Anemone ''Elin'', shown in the Swedish forum is a spontaneous garden hybrid ehre the sepals have a pink back.
Hannelotte in Sweden

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 09:05:25 PM »
Hannelotte Elin is a pretty plant :)

I am just curios if anyone had tried to do a hybrid  of the two by them selves?
By the way does ony one grow A. nemorosa from seeds and is hence trying to get new cultivars or is that only doen by mother nature?
Maybe A.nemorosa does not need to be grown from seed since it is quite prolific and caan be propageted vegitativly.
Would be inerested to hear about prpagation of A. nemorosa and close speices.

Kind regards
Joakim
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 11:14:55 AM by Joakim B »

Hkind

• Hannelotte's Garden
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2006, 06:54:33 AM »
Joakim,

I would say,  that it isn't necessary to propagate different forms of Anemone nemorosa by seed.  That is faster and easier done by division. Many forms multiply also by self sowing. They seem to be self fertile  and I have noticed so far no spontaneous  hybrids. Coloured forms seem to came true from seed. Varieties with interesting forms of sepals may differ a bit from the mother plant. 

The most interesting subject of hybridisation, I think, would be to cross good coloured forms with forms with many sepals. Last year I tried to cross  'Kentish Pink' with a multi sepala form, but I got no viable seed from the trial.

'Blue Eyes'  should be a good parent for getting new double forms, since 'Blue Eyes' makes occasionally single flowers, which are fertile.  I have some two years old seedlings but have so far not tried to cross it.

I have no single A ranunculoides in the garden, so it hasn't been possible for me do try  crosses with A nemorosa.
Hannelotte in Sweden

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2006, 11:07:44 AM »
Hannelotte
Thanks for the information. :)
I will see if I can make an atempt myself to do an hybrid.
We have both A. nemorosa and A. ranunculoides in the garden and I will see if there is any interesting colour forms of A. nemorosa to use.
A blue form crossed with A. ranunculoides might give a very Swedish coloured form :) or just green :( :).

If looking at "Elin" it seems to be able to change the normal colours of A. x lipsiensis with the A.nemorosa used.

I will see if I am able to get any interesting seeds from the attempts.

Kind regards
Joakim

PS Hannelotte maybe You have some reply / comment regarding an other thread "Hepaticas in a warm climate" It is regarding colour on hepaticas rather than the temperature. DS

Hkind

• Hannelotte's Garden
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2006, 07:46:52 PM »
Joakim, I have nothing to contribute concerning your Hepatica question. Sorry!

Here a small sample of my collection of Anemone nemorosa.

In the first image you see 'Kentish Pink' in front of Achlys triphylla. In the background 'Green Fingers' and 'Robinsoniana' etc.

The second image is of 'Pink Delight', a cultivar with a nice double flower. The pink, however, is very faint and this touch of pink appears only to the end of the flowering period.

The third shows the best pink form I have found in the woods.  As 'Kentish Pink' it starts with white sepals, pink only on the back. Aging the pink spreads to the whole flower. But 'Kentish Pink' is much better than this Stockholm form.
Hannelotte in Sweden

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal