We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Any suggestions for protecting crops from woodlice damage?  (Read 9585 times)

Margaret

Re: Any suggestions for protecting crops from woodlice damage?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2013, 10:37:34 PM »

Anthony, I'll be careful not to take any with my cornflakes then.  ;D  On the woodlice front, I notice today that the sticky, yellow paper which I use in the greenhouse as a pest indicator had blown onto the soil between peppers. When I picked it up the underside was covered with glued on woodlice. I'm thinking that wrapping sticky fly paper round the stem of each plant should solve the problem.
Margaret
Greenwich

ArnoldT

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 04:07:17 AM »
Resveratrol is the magic component in red wine that gives one a long and healthy life.  Discovered by a Japanese scientist.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2013, 10:33:33 AM »
Just Googled it. Comes from a resorcinol derivative found in Veratrum album, hence the name, but the nutritional supplement is made using Japanese knotweed. I'll stick to drinking red wine.  ;D
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Margaret

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 11:24:42 PM »

Gosh, these chemicals are so difficult to understand. I certainly won't be feeding red wine to my already apparently inebriated woodlice - they might go in to an even greater breeding frenzy!
Margaret
Greenwich

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 12:07:59 PM »
I wonder what a tipsy woodlouse would walk like? They are already crawling, so that's no test. I think my garden is too dry for woodlice, except perhaps pill woodlice? I know that slug pellets used to kill off the black crickets I used to release in the garden for fun back in Dunblane. They would die off in the winter anyway. It's been warm enough here for little damsel flies to be about. 
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal