We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Clematis x cartmanii question  (Read 5916 times)

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
Clematis x cartmanii question
« on: December 12, 2007, 10:49:38 PM »
I wonder if anyone can help me.

I've got some F2 seed of C. x cartmanii nearly ripe (actually a cross between the clones 'Sweetheart' and 'Perfection'), but only want those with a form close to C. marmoraria. Does anyone know what percentage of seedlings like that I'm likely to get?
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Clematis x cartmanii question
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 01:07:39 AM »
I can't help with that cross Rob but other marmoraria seedlings, especially the very nice and dwarf `Luna Lass.' give seedlings almost identical to C. marmoraria, and almost identical to C. paniculata and every size and shape and leaf shape, in between. I have one absolutely flat and creeping underground and a couple of tall climbers. Some have tiny curly and heavily indented foliage while others have thin, long leaves or large almost oval leaves. You pays your money I think then weeds out the ones you don't want which I'd suggest would be the vast majority
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 01:09:10 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 01:21:23 AM »
Sigh,

Just as I suspected. What a lot of frogs I'll have, and how few princes.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 05:25:40 AM »
Ahhh, but you only need ONE prince...
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 05:31:56 AM »
.... and a consort to 'consort' with.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 06:52:56 AM »
And some other gardeners will love your frogs.

I have discovered that it is safe to compost anything that looks
boring to me, but not anything I find weird or ugly  because
they will be favoured by someone.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 12:31:12 PM »
So is x cartmanii a hybrid between marmoraria and paniculata then?  I had no idea what the parentage of 'Sweetheart' was, otehr than marmoraria in there somewhere.  It is a great little Clematis, and last here for years, unlike 'Perfection' which I know of no-one in Canberra who has actually had it survive more than a year or two.  I'm assuming from the above comments that the parents are upright and flat, and therefore the seedlings vary anywhere in between.  I have a vague recollection of paniculata, but can't really place it and late enough now I'm not going to look it up!!  ::)  I need my beauty sleep!! (in a big way!!  ;D))
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 02:01:34 PM »
Paul yes, x cartmanii is the name applied to a hybrid between Clematis marmoraria and paniculata.
The original plant was raised by Henry and Margaret Taylor form seed sent to them by Joe and Ann Cartman and so the gave it the cultivar name 'Joe' or Clematis x cartmanii 'Joe' to give it its full title.
I think it is a superb plant and it used to be seen a lot on the Show benches but then Judges grew tired of it and now it is not so often seen, I think it is even banned from AGS Shows!
I suspect it is because it is a bit of a climber but when well grown up an appropriate support, or tumbling down from a deep long tom pot it looks wonderful.
C. paniculata is a failry vigorous climber with good large flowers.
In the 1980's I did a lot of hybridising using 'Joe' as the pollen parent and crossing it back onto a female C. marmoraria - selecting the best compact offspring then crossing them back to marmoraria again. After a few generations I got some very good compact plants that flowered very well so I named the best of them 'Craigton Comet', 'Craigton Meteor' and 'Craigton Asteroid'. I distributed them but I do not know what has become of them. I still have a plant of each as well as a number of the other crosses that I stuck into the walls of the raised beds.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 04:10:43 PM by Maggi Young »
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 05:54:49 PM »
Picture here of my Clematis x cartmanii 'Joe' flowering in my greenhouse last April.

http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=376.msg11436#msg11436
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 09:07:29 PM »
Here's something very odd happened. When I clicked on David's post immediately above this one, and in my Inbox, his and Ian's both came up in a topic but not in THIS topic. They were inserted in Flowering now, April 2007. And also oddly, nothing in the topic was at all familiar to me. Much was posted while I was in Australia but I thought I'd looked at everything which had been posted during those 11 days. No doubt one of those small unexpainable greeblies which inhabit my computer and leap out occasionally to confuse me.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 09:08:51 PM »
Ah, not so confusing after all. When I clicked, it must have been on the link David inserted, not on the current topic link. Silly me.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal