We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Presenting plants at shows  (Read 3152 times)

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
Re: Presenting plants at shows
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 07:39:56 AM »
Slightly off topic but often when you bring two very skilled people together and follow their exchange you learn a lot. The trouble is that no-one is really able to accept that they are skilled, but it is easy to see when someone else is! The HPS in Kent once held a 'seed sowing' workshop in our garden, when myself and Graham Gough described how we grew plants in this way (both from a nursery perspective). We both love growing and propagating plants but our experiences and background are quite different - Graham is artistic and musical (literally) and I am quite technical and scientific. Graham was brilliant at pointing out my mistakes (and the most important of these was lack of preparation - I had spent hours putting together a display of seeds and demonstration of cleaning them etc., but had failed to make sure I had a good example of compost - i.e: we had run out!); Graham on the other hand has the simple practical skill of making a nursery work and so homed in on what is most essential (and if you have visited his nursery, or in the past Washfield, you will know what a fine nurseryman and gardener he is). So I personally learnt quite a lot and hope that those watching did too. When you really enjoy doing something and have thought a lot about it I think "thinking out loud" is almost impossible not to do and the exchanges that result are wonderfully stimulating. In the context of the AGS Shows in particular my view is that this would release them from such a strong 'judgemental' element, and would do nothing to reduce their quality and wonder.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Presenting plants at shows
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 01:50:02 PM »
In this new thread I have replied to a potential new Scottish exhibitor - with copies of some notes I prepared years ago for Aberdeen Group members.... to explain the show schedules and suggest possible show plants ..... http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=10808.0

It may help some readers of this thread too!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal