We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wildlife July 2013  (Read 6133 times)

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
Re: Wildlife July 2013
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2013, 08:07:10 PM »
I know we're now into August, but the following damselflies aren't ususally flying around this late in the year. I heard of a local site for Banded Demoiselles (Calopteryx splendens) which I did not think occurred this far north in the UK, but a quick trip (15 minutes from home) there this afternoon revealed the reports to be true, and I've enclosed a couple of photos of males of the species (no females seen today).
Incidentally, they were taken whilst knee-deep in the stream - remarkably refreshing on a hot day like today, and with the added bonus of small fish nibbling my feet - people were paying good money for this until recently, it was deemed to be beneficial to get rid of dead skin!  ;D
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 02:09:45 PM by Peter Maguire »
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Wildlife July 2013
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2013, 02:54:41 PM »
That's a lovely dragon
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal