We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Help: Cypripedium franchetii and the slugs from hell!  (Read 1325 times)

Corrado & Rina

Help: Cypripedium franchetii and the slugs from hell!
« on: June 26, 2013, 07:31:17 AM »
I have no words? I found the plant chewed in the pot .... RIP

What do I do now? Do I pull out the rhizome to see how deep did the chewing go? Do I wait for autumn? Do I keep watering and fertilising?

Best,

Corrado & Rina
Corrado & Rina

Chuck

Re: Help: Cypripedium franchetii and the slugs from hell!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 08:40:05 AM »
If the rhizome is in tact I would continue doing what you would do if it was not eaten. It will come back next year.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 10:36:50 AM »
I would investigate the  soil in pot closely to be sure that the slug or snail has not laid eggs in there.  ::)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 02:50:56 PM »
It will probably come back next year, but will have a setback for a while - you'll have to wait a little longer for the flowers.
Personally I'd be inclined not to disturb the compost at present, but to water on a liquid slug/snail killer, perhaps repeating the process in a couple of months. That way if there are any hatching slug eggs, the slugs will be killed before they reach the surface of the compost and are less of a threat to wildlife and pets.
I've had a similar problem recently with snapped stems, this time caused by wind damage to young, floppy shoots whist I was away from home.  Such are the joys of Cypripedium growing.  :-\
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 11:44:57 AM »
Hi,
commiserations, it happens to us all.
Maggi's point is very relevant: do search for snail eggs, they are usually laid in the first 5cm of the compost. It is worth watering the pot and any others you treasure with a slug killer solution. Without recommending any products, I use Slug Clear or Nemasys. ;)
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

monocotman

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 10:33:13 AM »
Providing the plants was a reasonable size then it will usually come back next year, although much smaller.
I usually reckon this sort of thing knocks them back a couple of years.
Keep the pot damp with the odd feed.
David
'remember that life is a shipwreck, but we must always remember to sing in the life boats'

Heard recently on radio 4

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal