We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Spring Flowers in the Rocky Mountains, Alberta, Canada  (Read 5035 times)

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
Re: Spring Flowers in the Rocky Mountains, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2013, 05:10:18 PM »
Yes, we are fine.  Thank you very much for your thoughts, John.  We are SO very fortunate to live well above the river floodplains (so only experienced lots of rain), but as I'm sure you've seen from the news, about 75,000 people were evacuated from low-lying areas along the Bow and Elbow Rivers.  It sounds (from the news and social media) as though the evacuation and housing of people has been done really well - an absolutely stellar effort by all the emergency services and city departments! 
It sounds like people are being allowed to return to their homes in a few areas but the downtown is still without power.  (I can only imagine that all the underground parking in all the downtown office and apartment buildings must be totally flooded.  I work downtown so I'm waiting to see what my employer tells us about coming in on Monday.)  How awful for the people who know there has been terrible damage to their homes, or even total destruction of their homes. 
Sorry, I don't know how to link this video itself, but here is a current news article with video:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2013/06/21/aerial-view-flooding.html

Sorry to divert the topic from your beautiful mountain photos, Alan!    :(
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Spring Flowers in the Rocky Mountains, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2013, 07:50:07 PM »
Not at all, Lori; I am concerned for anyone in the area.  We stayed for 8 days at a very nice 'resort' hotel in Canmore that was not very far from Cougar Creek, followed by 2 nights in downtown Calgary before we flew home.  Although we encountered a few intense showers, overall we had lovely sunny weather.  And yet wherever we rested our heads, flooding has followed in our wake.  A week later and the Canmore hotel is closed ("Emergency and restoration crews are working to restore the resort and we hope to be back in operation by July 5, 2013") whilst much of the downtown area we saw in Calgary is also flooded.  We feel so sorry for all affected by this.       
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal