We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Spring Flowers in the Rocky Mountains, Alberta, Canada  (Read 5037 times)

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
Re: Spring Flowers in the Rocky Mountains, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 09:31:23 PM »
Does it have to be pot-grown?  I saw this plant in the vicinity of Banff, climate http://www.world-guides.com/north-america/canada/alberta/banff/banff_weather.html .  Compare this to, say, Stirling then peak summer temperatures are similar but  Banff experiences a much longer colder winter.  So surely the only useful thing a pot can provide is good drainage and less winter wet than is normal hereabouts?  Those are conditions you might be able to achieve in the ground with a little care.  Or am I being naïve?

It needs to be moist all year round with just a little less water in summer when it is dormant.

It does not grow in the 'ground', it grows in a few inches of pine duff over the soil,not easy to replicate ouside of a pot.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 05:44:09 AM »
I hope you had a great time out here!
After the calypso orchid photos, the first one is Trollius albiflorus, then Pulsatilla patens, 5 photos of Anemone parviflora (or so they all look to me), then Fragaria virginiana.
I can't imagine growing calypso orchid in a pot either (but maybe that's just me... the notion of growing anything in pots doesn't really enter my consciousness).  Is it a good year for them?  They can extremely thick... I saw thousands of big robust plants one spring in the forests around Lake Louise!  Guess I'd best get out there to see for myself!
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Lori S.

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 05:50:10 AM »
"Pleasant springs in Banff lead onto a warm and appealing summer climate"... that's tourist-brochure-speak for "cold".   ;D
Lori

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 07:47:31 AM »
... I saw thousands of big robust plants one spring in the forests around Lake Louise!  Guess I'd best get out there to see for myself!

Go quick, I left one week ago so I don't know how long the Calypso flowers will last.  Thanks for help in identifying some of the other flowers.  We did indeed have a great time. 
Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2013, 10:00:13 AM »
  They can extremely thick... I saw thousands of big robust plants one spring in the forests around Lake Louise!  Guess I'd best get out there to see for myself!

Good grief! The very thought makes me hyperventilate. What a wonderful sight that must be.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2013, 11:48:37 PM »
One for the true rock gardener, I think it must be Androsace chamaejasme, Rock Jasmine

Almost in Scotland.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2013, 07:16:47 AM »
Views taken along a road called the Icefields Parkway that runs between Lake Louise and Jasper passing through the Columbia Icefields.  Bow Lake, source of the Bow River which flows down the valley through Banff and eventually through Calgary. About half of my 'Anemone' photos come from the lake shore, where I also photographed a small red plant that I cannot identify.  Nearby, the impossibly blue Peyto Lake; I have not tampered with the photograph, it really was that colour.
Almost in Scotland.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2013, 07:34:25 AM »
A rainbow in spray at Mistaya Canyon and some of the tiny plants growing by the path on the walk down from the road to the canyon.
Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2013, 10:19:38 AM »
I'm enjoying all these photos - the scenery is so majestic - but that rainbow in the spray shot is a stunner!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2013, 10:50:29 AM »
That small red plant has leaves that remind me of a Pedicularis - I think some of them are reddish when they first appear, then become greener with time.
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Lori S.

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2013, 10:52:10 PM »
The red plant is indeed Pedicularis groenlandica.  The Androsace is correctly ID'd - it's actually very easy to grow (in cold, dry climates, at least).

(P.S.  Well, it doesn't look like an orchid walk is in the works for this weekend... the Trans-Canada highway and also the 1A bypass are closed at Canmore due to extreme flooding of Cougar Creek (which I'm not sure if I've ever even seen water in before)!  Take a look at the videos at the bottom of this news article:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2013/06/20/calgary-canmore-flooding-emergency-w.html

Lots of flooding and neighbourhoods adjacent to the floodplains of the Bow and Elbow Rivers being evacuated in Calgary too.  Good heavens, I'm glad we live up in the highlands!  :o )
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 03:23:34 AM by Lori S. »
Lori

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2013, 05:37:26 AM »
Ruddy heck, we were staying just up the road from Cougar Creek, which was as wide as the Bow River in Canmore but appeared completely dry when we were there.  And we had lovely weather for our 8 days, ending last Thursday!
Almost in Scotland.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2013, 04:35:57 PM »
According to my book, Pedicularis groenlandica has the common name ' Elephanthead' because the individual flowers on the spike resemble the head of an elephant, a pink one at that!

Geum triflorum (I think) known as 'Old Man's Whiskers', 'Three-flowered Avens' or 'Prairie Smoke'.
Clematis columbiana, known as 'Blue Clematis' or 'Purple Virgin's Bower'.
A plant with blue grass-like leaves (a bit like a small iris) that was very prolific in the woods west of Canmore.  We found one in tight bud but it was too early to find any in flowers so I never identified it.
Lastly a view looking over the reservoir and on to the town of Canmore in the valley.  The now-flooded 'Cougar Creek' descends from the far mountains and will be somewhere over towards the right of the picture. 
Almost in Scotland.

Lori S.

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2013, 05:09:04 PM »
Yes, Geum triflorum, and the plant with bluish grass-like leaves is Zigadenus, either Zigadenus elegans (very common and very beautiful) or Zigadenus venenosus.

Too bad it was so early.  I wish you'd seen the "elephanthead" in bloom... I think seeing pink elephants would make anyone smile!  :D
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=3949.msg104101#msg104101
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 05:16:31 PM by Lori S. »
Lori

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2013, 02:29:56 PM »
Lori - I hope all's well with you and family given the horrible flooding in Calgary.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal