We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Alternatives to Ivy?  (Read 857 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Alternatives to Ivy?
« on: May 24, 2013, 01:45:55 PM »
I have an area under some conifers that is both dry and dark.  It requires a heavy rainfall to even wet the ground and heavy rain is rare near Cambridge.  On the plus side, there is about six foot of headroom so I can get in there and plant things and being sandwiched between the house and a boundary wall makes it a sheltered spot.  Ivy does well but I got bored with the regular ivy and pulled it up.  I have imported some ornamental ivy from elsewhere in the garden but that will take years to establish and spread and I would really prefer something that flowers at ground level.  Apart from the Ivy, I have a self-set Mahonia (aquifolium?)and a self-set Yew, both very small so far.  I just mention those as examples of things that do manage to grow.

Any ideas for attractive plants I can grow in such adverse conditions?

Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Alternatives to Ivy?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 01:58:04 PM »
Galium odoratum is a useful ground cover for such a site, as is Vinca
I wouldn't be surprised if Dicentra eximea did not cope with the conditions, too.
Also Asarum europaeum and Chrysosplenium macrophyllum are other ground covers that might suit.....
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 05:29:19 PM »
Thanks, Maggi.  I have plenty of Galium odoratum elsewhere in the garden; never thought of trying it there but that's easily done.  It's in flower at the moment and looking really good.  It say 'moist but well-drained soil' here http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=835 but then it often does say that. 

The Dicentra would be lovely if it will grow.  Either of the other two suggestions would be great also, but living where you do I doubt you can easily appreciate how very dry it can get here. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 05:48:16 PM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 05:47:57 PM »
Okay, three trial clumps of Galium odoratum in place.  It will look very nice there, if it survives.

But there's plenty of bare ground left so I'm still open to other suggestions.
Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 07:38:54 PM »
Yes, Alan, I know it is a very different prospect to have a dry spot in your garden and one in mine - but these plants may still be worth a try. They get no watering here at all and compete with many rhodos, trees etc.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 08:26:10 PM »
Most Epimediums cope with dry shade too.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Margaret

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 09:55:28 PM »

Hi Alan

You could try Euphorbia robbiae, Stipa arundinacea, Begonia evansiana, Luzula sylvatica, Ophiopogan planiscapus and Polypodium vulgaris.

It's a great place to overwinter tender stuff in pots. You could also try a bit of sculpture or some well placed rocks.
Margaret
Greenwich

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 12:37:56 AM »
Thanks for your suggestions, Maggi.  I have immediately tried the Gallium odoratum.  I'm not very keen on Vinca because I have to fight it elsewhere in the garden but I'll try any of the others I can obtain.

I have Epimediums growing successfully in some very dry spots elsewhere in the garden but these spots are far less shady; still I might give one a try.  In fact I'll try anything I can get hold of that isn't too expensive.  You would think it would be a good spot for overwintering tender plants but that hasn't worked too well in he past.  It's something of a low point in the garden so perhaps acts as a bit of a frost pocket despite being sheltered from the wind.

And thanks, Margaret.  Euphorbia robbiae is the easiest to get hold of from your list of suggestions so I'll try that. 
Almost in Scotland.

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 12:32:36 PM »
Cyclamen hederifolium is indispensible. Scopolia carniolica is good in spring here with interesting flowers and has gone dormant by the time the cyclamen flower. (I'll send you a bit to try in the autumn if you like)
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

brianw

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 10:07:31 PM »
Some of the smaller Solomon's seals or Maianthemums might be Ok there.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 11:32:54 PM »
I am very grateful to everyone who has risen to this challenge.  I have never tried to grow Solomon's seal since my traumatic first attempt when my plant was demolished by caterpillars.  Maianthemums I'm not sure I have ever even seen!

Cyclamen hederifolium I have in another dry spot in the garden which it is gradually naturalizing but I always assumed it wanted more of a summer bake than it would get in my dark and shady spot.  And Scopolia carniolica is again, something I don't know at all.  I'm rather betraying my ignorance here, aren't I?  I'd like to try some but the spot I am seeking plants for is the toughest spot in the garden; it's going to kill most things so I am loath to sacrifice anything rare there. 
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal