We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: seed sowing  (Read 2718 times)

Alan B

seed sowing
« on: December 05, 2007, 01:28:15 PM »
Hi from a new member.  I have been a keen grower of sempervivums for years but finding myself with more time available since early retirement three years ago have really been getting more into bulbs and have been reading your log for some time now.  Can I ask a question? I am hoping for fritillaria seeds from the seed exchange this year but should I sow them when I get them or keep them back until July/August?
Keep up the good work.
in South Wales

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: seed sowing
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 03:07:26 PM »
Welcome, Alan and thank you for your very kind words.  If the frit seed you get are American species, then it may be worth sowing them on receipt, but for other types then I would keep them in a stable,dry environment and sow them late next August, ready for watering in September. Happy growing!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 07:59:41 PM »
Is this usual practice in the UK Maggi? The seed, if sown next August would be approx 14 months old by the time it was sown. This seems excessive. When we get seed from the Frit Group it is about 2-3 months old and from the society seedlists, about 6 months, which I feel is more than enough.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 08:01:12 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 08:59:04 PM »
Usual for the BD at least, lesley!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 02:50:38 PM »
I extend my welcome to you also Alan.

The reason I do not sow any Frit seed after December is that it has past the time window when it is likely to germinate.
To take advantage of the optimum time window for the germination process is to sow and water in early September although first signs above ground will not appear until the spring. When I have sowed frit seeds in January or February they never germinated that year and I was lucky if I got a few germinate the following year many were lost to rotting of the seeds in damp summer conditions. By storing the seeds and sowing them in August/ September I get much improved results.
Seeds of some of the American frits do seem to have a different time window and it is worth sowing them as late as Febraury.
I have stored Frit seeds for several years and still had good germination.

Lesley, your timings are all upside down so seed from the Northern exchanges could probably be sown when you recieve it. You can better work out what the S.H. version of September is.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 03:52:18 AM »
Logically, if 6 months are added to all numbers for seed sowing, that should work for down here. But it doesn't. Thomas has sent me much fresh seed of (surprise surprise) Crocus species and these haven't started to germinate for 18 months. Others start to germinate within weeks, others again, about a year later. Temperatures could be involved, or exposure to air or I don't know what. Maybe it's just that certain feeling in the air that tells one the difference between spring and autumn even though their temps may be the same. Life, as the bald gent in The King and I said, is a puzzlement. Seeds more so.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal