We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Leucojum  (Read 18601 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Leucojum
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2019, 07:40:48 PM »
Having done a bit of digging today I'm not sure now that my last two pictures above are Leucojum vernum var carpathicum 'Podpolozje'. I bought Podpolozje last year and they were very small bulbs. Quite near to them I had some L. vernum Vagneri Group bulbs bought two years ago. which flowered sparsely last year and I had expected them to flower better this year. So after the digging I lifted and potted the bulbs I think were Podpolozje which leaves in-situ what I now think are Vagneri Group. If you see what I mean ???

It would be much easier  if they were all called just L. vernum wouldn't it? ::)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Stefan B.

« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2019, 02:32:39 PM »

Leucojum vernum 'Podpolozje'

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2019, 03:57:39 PM »
Still not sure about mine. Maybe I shall be clearer when (if) they flower next year.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2019, 04:19:21 PM »
I have this form: Leucojum vernum ‘Podpolozje’

635585-0

It has twin flowers!
Belgium

zephirine

• zeph's garden blog
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2019, 05:57:26 PM »
Between Lyon and Grenoble/France -1500 ft above sea level - USDA zone 7B

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2019, 07:17:58 PM »

It has twin flowers!

Herman, there is an excellent picture of 'Podpolozje' in Wim Boens' article in IRG ,April 2016 . It is difficult to tell if yours is a light yellow or if it is green. It should be yellow.

God bless you!  ;D

Thank you Zephirine, I often wondered what the name meant.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2019, 09:08:27 PM »
Herman, there is an excellent picture of 'Podpolozje' in Wim Boens' article in IRG ,April 2016 . It is difficult to tell if yours is a light yellow or if it is green. It should be yellow.

Thank you Zephirine, I often wondered what the name meant.

David, next picture is from the same plant in 2017.

Something strange is happening!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 12:55:25 PM by Maggi Young »
Belgium

Pauli

« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2019, 05:33:26 AM »
An open flowered type, seen yesterday in the forrest.....
Herbert,
in Linz, Austria

Mariette

« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2019, 05:25:11 PM »

(Attachment Link)

It has twin flowers!
The yellow tips are more greenish in places or years when the budding leucojums enjoy less sunshine. There are people thinking that ´Podpolozje´is no better than any other  ordinary yellow - tipped leucojum; indeed, when visiting my garden, Wim thought that the clump shown in # 58 was this selection, which it isn´t.

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2019, 06:06:47 PM »
I have my Leucojum vernum 'Podpolozje' transplanted and it gets more sun now. So we will see what happens.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 06:56:26 AM by Herman Mylemans »
Belgium

François Lambert

« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2019, 03:10:03 PM »
Leucojum aestivum in the garden, flowering earlier every year.
Bulboholic, but with moderation.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2019, 07:08:47 AM »
I have Leucojums from three different sources, and all seem to behave that at the beginning of the flowering the tips are more green and after a while they turn more yellow.
The first two pictures are of Leucojums which have always only one flower per stem, and they have all multiplied from one single bulb from Estonia about 13 years ago. The first picture is from the beginning of flowering and the second is a week later.
In the third there is a clump of  Leucojums which have two flowers per stem, and the spots in the flowers which get more sun in the south side (left) are more yellow than in the flowers in the shade side.
The fourth clump of Leucojums is also from Estonia, but they always have two flowers per stem (sun is on the right side of the flowers which turn yellow first).
And the fifth picture is of the same plants but a week later than and the spots have turned more yellow.
So in my garden in these plants the colour of the spots is not a stable feature.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 07:10:44 AM by Leena »
Leena from south of Finland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2019, 09:24:28 AM »
Lovely plants Leena.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2019, 05:58:14 PM »
Thank you David. :)
Leena from south of Finland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal