We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: NORTHUMBERLAND SHOW: HEXHAM 13/04/13  (Read 10404 times)

glynnffc

Re: NORTHUMBERLAND SHOW: HEXHAM 13/04/13
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2013, 05:21:01 PM »
I attended the above on Saturday and  was so pleased I made the effort. It was a great show with loads of eyecatching plants on display and more importantly lots of lovely things to buy.

Being an orchid  nut I was delighted to see a pot full of Cymbidium goeringii, but now the bad news. My camera was at home and the picture taken on my phone is awful. I must have been shaking with excitement.
Did anyone get a good picture they would be willing to share?

I was also impressed with various pots of Townsendia hookeri. Another to add to the wish list.

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2013, 06:16:04 PM »
Hello, hers is my only picture of the Cymbidium one flower but sure it was a super pot full, cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

veteran vet

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2013, 06:34:57 PM »
Continuing my trundle through the classes, mostly small open now
Narcissus calcicola from Ian Leslie (80 I think)...while judging this class we had a good chat about the more chunky hybrids that were on the bench but Ians plant hit the spot.
Now a few Fritillaria
Fritillaria aurea x pinardii from Don Peace in 78 and I was much attracted to
Fritillaria hakkarensis shown by Derek Pickard in 105, even though it was only a single stem
Fritillaria tubiformis (108) from George Young is one of my favourites, especially in this more dwarf form (looks even better today after 2 days of 15C temperatures (so do I come to that)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2013, 06:36:28 PM »
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=1561.msg39092#msg39092  for a pic of a super plant in Hexham in 2008. Nosure who showed that plant, but
C. goeringii is often  shown by Wilma and Jim Wright - some super photos on he AGS site . Such as :
http://www.alpinegardensociety.net/plants/joint-rock/awards/jointrockmeeting/Joint+Rock+Meeting+East+Cheshire+May+/27/

I think it's a fantastic plant, very elegant.

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

veteran vet

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2013, 06:44:18 PM »
I said earlier that I had opted out of taking too many pictures of P.allionii and cultivars but there were some nice Asiatic ones so
Primula irregularis from Alan Newton (56)...I bet he sleeps well tonight after a hectic week
Primula bracteata from Peter Hood (56)
Primula gracilipes minor from Tom Green (56)
Primula irregularis seedling from Jim Watson (56).....all of these exhibitors are local group members so a fair bit of banter went on...I have to say our group has a fair number of folk who exhibit at shows, never a bad thing
Primula 'Netta Dennis' from Don Peace in 6, as good a one as I have seen this year

veteran vet

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2013, 06:51:49 PM »
Down to  a mix of classes and plants now so
Saxifraga lilacina from Tommy Anderson (70)
Saxifraga 'Leonardo da Vinci' from Mark Childerhouse (69), is one I will look out for, a really nice looking plant with potential me-thinks
Townsendia spathulata 'Cotton Ball' F & B Hoyle (51), I think also received a Certificate of Merit
Adonis vernalis from Tommy Anderson (68)
Anemone caucasica from George Young (68), had held up well from the week earlier because of the cold weather

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2013, 06:58:28 PM »
...........................while judging this class we had a good chat about the more chunky hybrids that were on the bench but Ians plant hit the spot.

Hope there was no judgemental elitism involved there George :P ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

veteran vet

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2013, 07:06:43 PM »
Last two
Draba polytricha from John Bunn in class 65 and
Draba ossetica from Dave Riley in the same class...as I have mentioned in other posts the Draba seem to have had a bad winter so its good some of the old c/vs are still ongoing.
That's the final post on the Hexham show, sadly I committed the cardinal photographer sin of not having enough battery life in the camera...I did check, it said it was full but it was not so ran out...never mind I think I got most of what I had noticed from my browsing round the show. I was very lucky to have a son help me stage my plants and load then back into the car at the end, sadly it did for his back carrying my bigger pots so been having to tie his shoe laces just like when he was little...did offer to go over his back with some manipulation but he didn't want a vet touching him (wish he would say the same about my whisky)
In summary this was a really fine show given the type of spring we have had, exhibitors came from far and wide with cracking good plants as Don Peace would say and it looked as if the Nursery folk did a good trade. Poor Susan Tindall (Timpany) had to endure an Irish sea crossing in a very strong wind/gale and very rough seas, she says that she was not sea sick when a great many were and was jolly glad she was not a worker on the boat cleaning up after it docked!!!

veteran vet

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2013, 07:08:38 PM »
David, from my point of view a good little un beats a big un any day

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2013, 07:16:36 PM »
I'd thought of a reply George but I daren't, Maggi would slay me.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

veteran vet

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2013, 07:25:50 PM »
Get the drift, at my age it doesn't make any difference when it comes to size!, so lets concentrate on plants...I reiterate as a shower who still hankers of 'alpine' and how it chimes in the mind, a good little un works for me!!!, nuff said (never mind Maggie, she has to be feeding Ian at the moment you would think?)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2013, 07:27:01 PM »
He's fed and watered already, George............
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

glynnffc

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2013, 08:29:23 PM »
Thanks for the Cymbidium picture Ian. That's certainly one for the wish list.

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2013, 10:56:11 AM »
I think most of these have been shown in this thread already, but I'll put them up anyway....

Androsace vandellii - Alan has been bringing this to shows for a good long time now, and I am really glad he does.  It shows how its growing over time.  Wish I'd taken its photo every time I've seen it.  I think its specacular!
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2013, 10:57:13 AM »
This corydalis solida is a new colour to me.  Sorry my camera didn't pick up the depth of colour but it gives you an idea of it here.  Sorry too, I failed to get the name of the exhibitor this time.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal