We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb fly management  (Read 1557 times)

Chuck

Bulb fly management
« on: April 03, 2013, 09:07:24 AM »
I lost over 10 Hippestrum species several years ago to that Narcissus bulb fly. Right now most of my bulbs inside but they are not getting as much sun and I am getting to the point where there might be too many inside.

Are there any good ways of managing the flies in your collections of bulbs? I don't want to waste money to re-buy rare bulbs that I will lose again.

I read several nurseries soak their bulbs in 43C water for 2 hours.
Also remove the dead leaves.

Ezeiza

Re: Bulb fly management
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 07:52:56 PM »
A systemic insecticide applied as a drenching every three weeks for the whole period of risk should solve the problem for good. The first drenching applied in advance of the flies appearance. The whole idea is to have the bulbs well poisoned when the first larvae hatch.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Gene Mirro

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 08:33:04 PM »
I use Dursban (Chlorpyrifos) on my Narcissus.  I spray the foliage in mid-May.  You will have to find out the proper time to spray in your region.  Dursban is somewhat restricted, so you may have trouble getting it unless you have a permit.
Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

Chuck

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 05:16:47 AM »
The only trouble with the insecticides is that I have edibles around the yard. Do the flies go into greenhouses? or shade structures?

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 06:21:53 AM »
The only trouble with the insecticides is that I have edibles around the yard. Do the flies go into greenhouses? or shade structures?

Yes, they go into the greenhouses. Last summer I had an attach in my greenhouse. I killed one fly and gave my amaryllidaceae several waterings with a systemic insecticide. Time will show how much damage they made.
The rare amaryllidaceae that I grow outside is in a frame that can be covered with a thin netting mounted on a window-like frame. When it is too wet, it is covered by a window and in drier periodes with the netting. (That also prevent my cat sleeping there ;D).

Poul
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 06:24:47 AM by pehe »
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 07:23:36 AM »
I have not yet tried this but I have bought a large piece of thin-hole netting to cover the raised beds where my nicest snowdrops grow.  I don't see why this should not work.
Almost in Scotland.

Ezeiza

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 12:31:58 AM »
If your Hippeastrums are in pots you can take them to another spot for insecticide application. Of course by applying it you will be poisoning your vegetables.

But, on the other side, growing valuable Hippeastrums near ordinary vegetables that could transmit viruses to them is nonsense.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 08:55:17 AM »
Please be(e) aware that neonicotinoid pesticides including imidacloprid are implicated in serious declines of bee populations. It would be wise to only apply these substances, if at all, to plants after flowering to avoid passing on to bees through the nectar or pollen.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 12:01:46 PM »
Couldn't Neporex, which is a pesticide used against fly larvae be useful? It is not harmful to adult flies (and probably bees)

http://www.afsanimalcare.co.uk/products/insecticides/ins_downloads/NEPOREX%20label.pdf

Poul
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 12:12:42 PM »
Please be(e) aware that neonicotinoid pesticides including imidacloprid are implicated in serious declines of bee populations. It would be wise to only apply these substances, if at all, to plants after flowering to avoid passing on to bees through the nectar or pollen.
A timely point, Anne - In the UK it seems that the govt. minister will not follow the advice of a committee report that such pesticides be banned :   petition and info about this  here :

http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/s/ban-the-pesticides-that-are-harming-our-bees#petition
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Chuck

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 01:06:30 PM »
A timely point, Anne - In the UK it seems that the govt. minister will not follow the advice of a committee report that such pesticides be banned :   petition and info about this  here :

http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/s/ban-the-pesticides-that-are-harming-our-bees#petition

That is probably also true here in California. Another alternative is to keep them all in the stairway. But there is not enough light. Right now everything is in pots each bulb I have is in separate pots. I have not put bulbs outside for 2 years. I noticed the fly goes after seedlings too but they have to be at least over 1 year old.

Ezeiza

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 11:24:19 PM »
Anne, no doubt that is true but it is a problem of scale: millions of acres sprayed with imidacloprid against ten pots that could not even flower each year.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 10:18:36 AM »
I appreciate that, Alberto, but I have been sad to see dead bees in my alpine house after applying imidacloprid to plants in flower. I still use it on ferns, and probably will use it if really necessary on plants after flowering when bee visits are not likely.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal