We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: crocus abantensis  (Read 4174 times)

Arda Takan

• Tulips and Frits.
Re: crocus abantensis
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 09:27:18 PM »
Time to reward myself.
Cheers.
Thanks to everyone who supported me for this trip. I really enjoyed every moment of it.
in Eskisehir / Turkey

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 09:30:37 PM »
You made a success of the trip for sure, Arda. I hope it will be the first of many trips you make to enjoy the wonderful flowers and nature in your country.  It's good that you begin now- you will need a long life to explore all of Turkey!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Arda Takan

• Tulips and Frits.
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 09:34:38 PM »
Also I forgot to add this colchicum species.
in Eskisehir / Turkey

Arda Takan

• Tulips and Frits.
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 09:36:04 PM »
You made a success of the trip for sure, Arda. I hope it will be the first of many trips you make to enjoy the wonderful flowers and nature in your country.  It's good that you begin now- you will need a long life to explore all of Turkey!
Thanks Maggi.
Now I have enough resources and time( I don't work on saturdays now)
I think I can keep like this forever :)
in Eskisehir / Turkey

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 10:51:28 PM »
Arda

glad it went well for you. It is a beautiful area both for the scenery and the plants. I have been a couple of times and it always seems wonderful.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 07:03:49 AM »
Hi Arda,

Lovely to see this area again - such a wonderful place. I also found Crocus olivieri in open spaces south of the lake along the road from the expensive (but luxurious) hotel. Also Fritillaria pontica and an unidentified colchicum (Janis might know which one)in the same location. I think it is the furthest western point of Helleborus orientalis' range and there were many plants on both the southern and northern sides of the lake.

Did you enjoy your stay in the hotel?

Cheers, Marcus

Arda Takan

• Tulips and Frits.
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 07:12:12 AM »
Hello Marcus,

I was too focus finding C. Abantensis I didn't pay attention on other bulbs much. I didn't take enough photos. Now I regret those things but that is a good experience for my future journeys.
I didn't see any frits. The list of bulbous plants I saw are(my guesses);

Ornithogalum
Cyclamen
Colchicum
Muscari
Galanthus
Scilla
Gagea

My hotel's name was Büyük Abant Oteli. It was a good hotel. But expensive for 1 night :)
in Eskisehir / Turkey

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 10:36:02 PM »
Marcus

the Hellebors orientalis grows even further west and I collected it near Sile which is on the coast North of Izmit growing with Primula vulgaris ssp sibthorpii.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Arda Takan

• Tulips and Frits.
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 10:52:16 AM »
while on my way to abant from bolu I saw Hellebors orientalis from distance in bus and I tought it could be some kind of frit. But when I get close I was disappointed.
in Eskisehir / Turkey

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2013, 11:01:12 AM »
Hi Tony,

I learn something every day! I still have quite a few plants from my seed collection growing around the garden.
Did you find any white flowering forms of said primula?
I will never forget that hotel, Arda. I almost fell over when I was told the price per night! In fact I did start to walk out the door when the hotel manager came racing after me and offered me their Bargain Basement room , which was, well, in the basement. It still cost me, who was a strict budget that had to last 3 months, a virtual arm and a leg, but the food, the service, the atmosphere was fantastic. There were many very rich looking Turkish people staying there but no foreign tourists. The hotel put on a big open air concert down by the lake with belly dancers and the whole orchestra on Sunday morning. For those of us who just wanted to get away to the wilderness for a bit of peace and quiet - forget it! I remember thinking at the time how different this was to Tasmanian national parks but these days the gap is narrowing with an increasing inclusion of these commercial assets inside them now.

Cheers, Marcus

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal