We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen autumn/winter 2007  (Read 5887 times)

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
Cyclamen autumn/winter 2007
« on: November 28, 2007, 09:06:55 PM »
Don't know where else to put the following - just some Cyclamen cilicium from the Eastern Taurus mountains, Turkey, in early November.
These grow along the field boundaries and in among the limestone exposures, typically trying to hide under shrubs (Commonly Quercus coccifera - ouch!!!)
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Re: Cyclamen autumn/winter 2007
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 10:01:33 PM »
These are great. It must be very special to see them in their native habitat.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 12:36:48 AM »
Fantastic!!  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 08:33:06 AM »
Great !!!!
 8)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

SueG

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 08:56:12 AM »
Lovely pictures - thanks
Sue
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

Kees Jan

• Kees Jan's botanical trips
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 08:10:19 PM »
Nice to see pictures of C. cilicium in the wild, I always expected this to be a species typical of woodland (like hederifolium), but apparently it isn't!

I need some help to find out the name of this Cyclamen. It was photographed in SW Turkey, between Dalaman en Gölhisar at about 600 m. This was open woodland (mainly oak I think) and the Cyclamen was found in moss on limestone rocks. Any ideas? Most of the plants just showed leaves, but one plant had flower buds visible, see pics.... Any suggestions will be much appreciated!!!

Could it possibly be a very early form of C. coum or C. alpinum???
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 08:18:43 PM by Kees Jan »
Kees Jan van Zwienen

Alblasserdam, The Netherlands (joint editor of Folium Alpinum, the journal of the Dutch Rock Garden Club "NRV")

photosite: http://keesjan.smugmug.com
twitter: https://twitter.com/KJVZ10
http://www.facebook.com/kees.jan.927

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 08:48:35 PM »
Hi Kees ,

This could be C. alpinum or with the older name C.trochoptheranthum !

Greetings
Hans
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 09:52:24 AM »
The leaves look like alpinum.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Kees Jan

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 10:15:11 AM »
Many thanks! In the meantime I had a look in 'The Genus Cyclamen' and according to the distribution map of Cyclamen coum that species does not occur in SW Turkey. Does anyone know if populations of coum have been found since the publication of this book in the SW of Turkey? If not I think the plants I saw must be C. alpinum since I don't know of any other species from SW Turkey that looks similar to the plants I photographed.
Kees Jan van Zwienen

Alblasserdam, The Netherlands (joint editor of Folium Alpinum, the journal of the Dutch Rock Garden Club "NRV")

Tim Murphy

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 03:38:47 PM »
Hello Kees, I spent two weeks in Turkey back in 2003 on a Cyclamen Society field trip to study Cyclamen mirabile and we also saw C. alpinum in southwest Turkey. C. coum does not grow in that part of Turkey. We did see C. coum (and C. intaminatum too), but much further north whilst on the way back to Istanbul from Afyon. Like others here have said, the plant in your photos is definitely C. alpinum.

Dave, your photos of C. cilicium are excellent. We found C. mirabile growing in the same environment, and always growing with Quercus coccifera. Not easy to photograph or collect plants (with the relevant CITES documents, of course) when they are right in the middle of the Quercus!

Kees Jan

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 08:56:10 PM »
Thanks Tim
Kees Jan van Zwienen

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 10:31:37 PM »
Thanks, Tim. I can still recall the pain!!  :'( :'( :'(
But then, if they grew in the open, I guess there might not be any Cyclamen to take pix of...... plenty of signs of wild pigs in some of the localities we visited.
We did see C cilicium growing in a woodland margin habitat at one locality, though here again there was some protection from shrubs (but not quite so prickly!!!). It never ceases to amaze me how the these plants tuck themselves into solution crevices (see pix below) - but not much help to you guys collecting, but much more comfortable to photograph  :) :)
I saw C mirabile at one locality last year in Antalya area, but this was in pine duff in deep shade of coniferous woodland.
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

Tim Murphy

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 09:44:06 PM »
Hi Dave, yeah, me too; it was my job to extract the plants for collection, regardless of where they were growing! Some plants were impossible to get to because of the Quercus. We saw a lot of mirabile growing in a similar situation to that in your last photos, at a site on the shores of Lake Egirdir. I scratched away a several tubers only to find that they were wedged in very tightly and as a result had formed all sorts of weird and wonderful shapes and were not coming out in one piece.

We only saw wild pig damage at one site in a colony of C. intaminatum.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2007, 07:46:05 AM »
Kees,

I know it isn't supposed to be there, but the leaves of the unidentified plant you posted remind me a lot of C. libanoticum, or at least the libanoticum form I have here anway.  The thickness, scalloping on the edges etc, as well as the markings.  But I can't find reference to any being found in S/W turkey.  Also no size reference to be able to compare, as I assume the leaves of libanoticum are usually much larger?  I am prepared to be shot down in flames....... but without the locality my first thought from the picture was libanoticum leaves.  I'll also emphasise here that I am most definitely not an expert.  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Tim Murphy

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2007, 01:19:51 PM »
Paul, C. libanoticum is definitely absent from Turkey. It grows only in Lebanon and is fairly localised I think. I have posted some photos of one of my own libanoticum for comparison. The leaves of alpinum are usually smaller than those of libanoticum. Also, the markings on the leaves of libanoticum are usually an olive green, whereas the markings on alpinum are usually much closer to a silver or cream colour. The leaf shape is significantally different too.

Given the location of the plant found by Kees and also seeing the photos, I can say that without doubt, it is 100% C. alpinum. Do you have any photos of your alpinum, Paul? It sounds interesting.

Edited to add photos!!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal