We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lily bulbs making many thin stems  (Read 858 times)

Gene Mirro

Lily bulbs making many thin stems
« on: April 02, 2013, 04:38:39 AM »
I have a group of Lilium kelloggii bulbs that are making dozens of thin stems out of each bulb.

390305-0

Does anybody have any idea why this is happening? The bulbs look healthy, and the plants were healthy last summer.
Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Lily bulbs making many thin stems
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 12:07:43 PM »
A strange effect on the bulb for sure.  Seems odd that any mechanical damage could have that effect.  And I'm not sure what type of insect attack could produce that either. 
A possibility seems to be a sort of "witches' broom"  type growth - which must, I think, be allied to the sort of fasciation one sees quite commonly.  I've always thought that that was caused by a virus attack but 'm not sure about that.... :-\

It will be very interesting to see how the shoots progress through the season and  if the bulb gains sufficient nutrient from all this "frantic" growth to sustain it through to another year.  I would be doubtful that it will survive - but , if it does so, the net question will be to see if this growth pattern is repeated or if  this proves to be a one season fluke.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal