We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Daphne-Botrytis cinerea  (Read 1309 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Daphne-Botrytis cinerea
« on: March 11, 2013, 03:11:35 PM »
In "Daphnes: A Practical Guide for Gardeners" (Timber Press 2006) the author, Robin White says "It is common to hear or read of apparently healthy, well-established daphnes suddenly collapsing for no apparent reason; in the United States this has been named 'daphne sudden death syndrome'."

Here is a picture of my Daphne x susannae 'Cheriton' as it was in early July last year when it looked happy, in good condition and flowered on and off for some months.386614-0

... and here it is now:-386616-1386618-2

Robin goes on to say that this disease is common in small evergreen daphnes that have a bushy habit extending to soil level with dead plant material gathering at the base of the plant. He also says, and this is what alerted me to the problem a few days ago, "........ or an area of leaves on a healthy green plant turning olive green and then brown"
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
Re: Daphne-Botrytis cinerea
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 06:45:15 PM »
David,
without your background info I would have amateurish said your plant has got too much frost or suffered drought. ???
A pity anyway.
Best wishes
Armin

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 07:11:06 PM »
David,
.....................or suffered drought. ???
A pity anyway.

Yes Armin, it is a great pity it was a lovely plant and just felt "right" in that part of the garden. The words "suffered and "drought" are never used in the same sentence in Devon ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 10:11:22 PM »
David,
do you want to intimate she has been drowned? ??? ;D
Best wishes
Armin

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 10:46:09 PM »
Probably was drowned, as one of mine was last year.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal