We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wildlife March 2013  (Read 2513 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Wildlife March 2013
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2013, 03:12:24 PM »
I think badgers are too determined to be easily discouraged. I'd take the line of least resistance and feed them something they liked better than your bulbs...... :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Helen Johnstone

• New alpine enthusiast, who is keen to learn lots
    • The Patient Gardener
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2013, 03:18:49 PM »
We have decided on the path of least resistence having tried to block the hole just before the New year and then having a scary encounter, for me and the badger, on New Years Eve!!

People have said put peanuts, bananas etc out for badgers but I wondered if that would just encourage them into the garden more rather than discourage it from eating my tulips. 

Have decided that all the tulips that are left will be dug up after flowering and removed in the hope of protecting the other plants from the tulip craved badger. Then I will restrict my tulips to pots which I can protect in the garage over winter

The cold isnt helping as a fox has just trotted past the living room window in the middle of the day, they must be struggling to find food

Gerry

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2013, 07:23:35 AM »
Keeping small determined dogs around can have a beneficial effect. 8)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal