Specific Families and Genera > Iris

Eupogon??

(1/3) > >>

David Nicholson:
Just been going through the Iris seed available on the SRGC Seed List and tracking down each species available on the Iris Species Database at http://www.badbear.com/signa/signa.pl?Introduction  in order that I could see what they actually looked like, when I came across the above Classification. I am well aware of 'Pogon' and 'Apogon' but I had not previously been aware of 'Eupogon' . If I were to guess I would say that this is a Classification to differentiate between (Eu)ropean pogons and others-am I right or am I wrong?

Maggi Young:
I have no idea, David! Off to eat my chocolate teapot  ::)

Diane Clement:

--- Quote from: David Nicholson on November 22, 2007, 07:32:13 PM ---I am well aware of 'Pogon' and 'Apogon' but I had not previously been aware of 'Eupogon' . If I were to guess I would say that this is a Classification to differentiate between (Eu)ropean pogons and others-am I right or am I wrong?

--- End quote ---

Eu in this context is Greek for "true" so Eupogon means "true pogon" i.e. the true bearded irises
Diane

Paul T:
Diane,

Does this mean that there are "false" bearded iris?  Or would that be referring to crested iris that sort of look like they have beards but only have the crest of petal material instead?

Diane Clement:

--- Quote from: tyerman on November 23, 2007, 06:30:15 AM ---Diane,

Does this mean that there are "false" bearded iris?  Or would that be referring to crested iris that sort of look like they have beards but only have the crest of petal material instead?

--- End quote ---

I'll kick off with the basics.
Iris, section Iris include Eupogons (true bearded), and the Pogons (bearded) which includes oncos and regelias - the beard in these cases is structurally different, but there are other more obvious differences, the oncos and regelias having seeds with "arils" (fleshy appendages) as anyone who has tried to germinate them will have seen (any successes on this front would be very gratefully received - Deno's recent article was fascinating on sowing fresh, but that doesn't help if the seed you have is dried). 

By the way, the crested irises don't count as bearded - they are in the non bearded section. 

Hope that helps the issue rather than clouding it!  I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me on this topic will add to this.

??? Dunno where chocolate teapots fit in the classification, but Maggi will hopefully enlighten us  ;)

Diane

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version