We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Eupogon??  (Read 5728 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Eupogon??
« on: November 22, 2007, 07:32:13 PM »
Just been going through the Iris seed available on the SRGC Seed List and tracking down each species available on the Iris Species Database at http://www.badbear.com/signa/signa.pl?Introduction  in order that I could see what they actually looked like, when I came across the above Classification. I am well aware of 'Pogon' and 'Apogon' but I had not previously been aware of 'Eupogon' . If I were to guess I would say that this is a Classification to differentiate between (Eu)ropean pogons and others-am I right or am I wrong?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Eupogon??
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 09:21:33 PM »
I have no idea, David! Off to eat my chocolate teapot  ::)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 11:17:28 PM »
I am well aware of 'Pogon' and 'Apogon' but I had not previously been aware of 'Eupogon' . If I were to guess I would say that this is a Classification to differentiate between (Eu)ropean pogons and others-am I right or am I wrong?

Eu in this context is Greek for "true" so Eupogon means "true pogon" i.e. the true bearded irises
Diane
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 06:30:15 AM »
Diane,

Does this mean that there are "false" bearded iris?  Or would that be referring to crested iris that sort of look like they have beards but only have the crest of petal material instead?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 08:00:33 AM »
Diane,

Does this mean that there are "false" bearded iris?  Or would that be referring to crested iris that sort of look like they have beards but only have the crest of petal material instead?

I'll kick off with the basics.
Iris, section Iris include Eupogons (true bearded), and the Pogons (bearded) which includes oncos and regelias - the beard in these cases is structurally different, but there are other more obvious differences, the oncos and regelias having seeds with "arils" (fleshy appendages) as anyone who has tried to germinate them will have seen (any successes on this front would be very gratefully received - Deno's recent article was fascinating on sowing fresh, but that doesn't help if the seed you have is dried). 

By the way, the crested irises don't count as bearded - they are in the non bearded section. 

Hope that helps the issue rather than clouding it!  I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me on this topic will add to this.

??? Dunno where chocolate teapots fit in the classification, but Maggi will hopefully enlighten us  ;)

Diane
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 08:03:32 AM by Diane Clement »
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 09:07:13 AM »
Diane,

I realise that the cresteds don't count as beardeds (hence they're called crested rather than beardeds!  ;)), but they were the only thing I could come up with that might have been regarded as "false" beardeds if there were such a thing.  I didn't realise that the arils and oncos had a different structure to their beards.  Interesting!!

As to the teapot reference.... I'm assuming it was mentioned in another thread that I haven't caught up with as yet!!  ::)  Certainly makes the most sense to eat it, because if you brewed tea in it you'd be drinking the teapot once it melted.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 12:03:20 PM »
I am delighted to be enightened on this Eu matter.

re the teapot: I meant that since I didn't know the answer to the question then I was as much use as a chocolate teapot... i.e. useless... but if a chocolate teapot is around, I'm the one to eat it!! ::)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 12:22:33 PM »
re the teapot: I meant that since I didn't know the answer to the question then I was as much use as a chocolate teapot... i.e. useless... but if a chocolate teapot is around, I'm the one to eat it!! ::)

Riiiiight!!?  So which happy pills did you put in the tea in the imaginary chocolate teapot then Maggi?  They're obviously quite good, and I think it is rude of you not to share them with the rest of us!!  ;D

And NO, I had never heard the term "as much use as a chocolate teapot", which I'm assuming is in common use for you elsewhere on the planet?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 07:00:38 PM »
Thanks Diane for improving my Iris related education.

Paul, when I was small and failed to do something simple my Dad used to say 'you're as much good as a chocolate fireguard'.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 10:08:02 PM »
so what you guys are trying to tell me is that the UK has a chocolate fetish?  ??? ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 02:04:55 PM »
so what you guys are trying to tell me is that the UK has a chocolate fetish?   
You didn't KNOW that?  8)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 10:25:27 PM »
Maggi,

well I knew that YOU did, I just didn't realise how widespread it was!!  :o

;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 09:05:40 PM »
Just been going through the Iris seed available on the SRGC Seed List and tracking down each species available on the Iris Species Database at http://www.badbear.com/signa/signa.pl?

David, thanks for this fantastic Iris database link... 8)
Best wishes
Armin

Katherine J

• Lurking and learning
    • Flowers from the Alps
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 01:45:50 PM »
I thank you also for that site, David!

It's great this Forum, isn't it, Miss Chocolate Teapot (eater)?  ;D ;D ;D
Kata Jozsa - Budapest, Hungary
Zone 6

http://gardenonbalcony.blogspot.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 01:51:44 PM »
Yes, another very useful link.

Kata, I agree with you, though I may be biased :-X

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal