We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Flowers and Foliage Now / Re: Paeonia 2024
« Last post by Jürg P on Today at 08:39:32 AM »
Thanks Leena and Gail.
@Leena: That would be great, if you could send me in autumn some seeds of your P. veitchii; thanks.

I have clay in my garden and for me it looked like that is the reason why P. veitchii is not doing well here. It was more or less in full sun, but I would like to try in future in semi-shade and in a mixture of clay and compost earth; hopefully it would like this more.

The P. emodi shows no sign of botrytis (I have anyhow only few locations where I can see probably some botrytis damage, as normally I eliminate the dead material of the Peonies). The flower buds of P. emodi actually do not shrivel or get brown for very long; they just stay at the same size for months and green. I try this year to fertilize more (I actually did not fertilize in the past years, but there are about 8 stems, so a real mature plant).

It is always surprising that some people have problems with some plants while others do not have them, but they have problems with other plants which others (i.e. the some people) do not have. It is probably a kind of mixture of environment (earth, temperature, nutrients, water, sun) and care of the garden owner. Most of the environment one can influence by changing place or earth, watering or fertilizing. The care one certainly can change, but strangely, the more and care the less some plants like it.

Does anybody of you know the name of the following cultivar (I got it under the name of 'Quing Long Wo Mo Chi'); the flowers are most time double, but sometimes also only semi-double as seen on one of the 2 pictures? The plant itself only gets to a height of around 40cm, but I really like the flowers especially when they are only semi-double.
Hi Diane,
Deer are a major problem in lots of parts of Australia but fortunately they aren't in this area - yet!
More autumn flowers:
1) A white crocus, possibly Crocus niveus
2) Narcissus deficiens
3) close up
4) Crocus possibly longiflorus
5) Narcissus 'First Stanza' which was eaten the next day >:(
cheers
fermi
Fuchsia regia ssp. reitzii, perhaps? I bought one last autumn but didn't plant it out yet.

I was given a few plants of a wild fuchsia native to Peru and cultivated/conserved in Scotland. Its distinctive feature is that it can climb to heights of 10-12 m.
Its flower is similar to that of F. magellanic.

Does anyone know it and can tell me more about it?  ;)
SRGC Shows Questions and Answers / Re: Perth SRGC Show 2024
« Last post by Maggi Young on April 25, 2024, 09:28:51 PM »
pic of the front page of today's issue of The Courier, from Alison Hogg - thanks, Alison !!
« Last post by Gail on April 25, 2024, 08:25:26 PM »
My veitchii is not flowering this year, which is my fault as I've let it get overcrowded so must move it. My emodi (from wild-collected seed) has just opened its first flower with several more to come. It does seem quite prone to botrytis and needs watching.
Crocus / Re: Seed to flower
« Last post by Maggi Young on April 25, 2024, 08:18:55 PM »
Diane, for any species, three years is good, most will take four or five years  to flower. Where there's life - there's hope!
Flowers and Foliage Now / Re: April 2024 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Last post by Leena on April 25, 2024, 06:41:16 PM »
Leena, I like the white daphne, it looks so much brighter than the ordinary one! The changes of weather may be similar here, though resulting in pics similar to Yours 2 months earlier.

It is also my favourite. We had now almost a week of cold, and today was finally +5. It is amazing how well most plants cope with cold periods, and Daphne is now like there was no cold spell at all.
« Last post by Leena on April 25, 2024, 06:36:40 PM »
I have another strange thing. My P. emodi grows every year and shows small flower buds, but they do not develop over 1cm in diameter. Sometimes I had issues with frost and tried to cover the plant, but this year there was no frost only temperatures a bit above zero degree. Has anybody any idea why this could be?

Another problem I have is with P. veitchii. I got 3 times plants from a colleague and every time they disappeared/died after 1-2 years. Maybe I should try it with seeds, but where can I get some seeds of P. veitchii; can anybody of you send me some if you have some?

I had the same problem with P.emodi, the buds shrivelled and didn't open, and after one winter I lost the entire plant.
With P.veitchii (and anomala) I have never had any problems or deaths ( daurica types and officinalis types are more difficult here), and I have thought P.veitchii to be the most reliable peony here in my garden.  It grows here mostly in semishade or some sun, but not in dry sunny sandy slope where P.officinalis does well. It grows also well in clay soil where many peonies get botrytis but not weitchii or anomala.
I can send you seeds of P.veitchii next autumn, unfortunately I don't have any left now.
Crocus / Re: Seed to flower
« Last post by Leena on April 25, 2024, 06:30:14 PM »
I agree that C.tommasinianus is quite fast, 3-4 years here. C.veluchensis hasn't flowered yet and it was sown 2019.
C.abantensis was sown the same year, and the ones I planted outside two years ago, are flowering, another pot outside vanished, and two pots in the greenhouse haven't flowered yet.
Perhaps I don't fertilize them enough in pots, and in the ground they get more nutrients, though also it is riskier (because of winters).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal