We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Pleione and Orchidaceae / Re: Pleione 2022
« Last post by Jeffnz on Today at 04:11:43 AM »
I was searching for information on growing Pleione from seed, found the following link to a Plant Worlds offer of seed and their germination instructions.
https://www.plant-world-seeds.com/store/view_seed_item/2129
Is this actually correct as I had always assumed that orchid seed needed to be sown onto a sterile nutrient agar medium to achieve germination.
Blogs and Diaries / Re: my local patch and wildlife - Ian McDonald
« Last post by ian mcdonald on May 19, 2022, 11:00:32 PM »
In my post of May 16th. I showed an image of a female Orange Tip. I have now started finding the eggs of this butterfly on its preferred plant, Hedge Garlic.

A Green Veined White was along the river.

I think the beetle may be a Dead-nettle Leaf Beetle.

Herons are a fairly common site standing patiently for small fish.

Due to the expensive fuel prices at garages I,m having to stay local and go for short walks along the river or past the local golf course. There is still plenty of wildlife to be seen but the variety is more limited. There are at least three sedge warblers in residence, usually they are heard singing from the cover of bushes but just sometimes they venture into the open.

Lets hope that we get back to more like "normal" soon.
Blogs and Diaries / Re: my local patch and wildlife - Ian McDonald
« Last post by ian mcdonald on May 19, 2022, 10:49:12 PM »
Wild plants have come into flower along the river in the last few days. Common Comfrey will be known to many, also the yellow flowers of Tuberous Comfrey.

Round-leaved Cranesbill is a short plant of barer areas.

Wood Cranesbill is a taller species which prefers damp shady sites.

Thyme-leaved Speedwell is a tiny plant, sometimes growing in lawns.

Flowers and Foliage Now / Re: May 2022 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Last post by Nik on May 19, 2022, 10:33:24 PM »
Mid-May is when everything becomes green in our area. I decided to show as an example my very first Japanese maple seedling. All of my Japanese maples suffered quite a bit this spring from aphids damage.
Cacti and Succulents / Re: Sempervivum
« Last post by Nik on May 19, 2022, 10:27:50 PM »
Update for May 19.
« Last post by Mariette on May 19, 2022, 05:15:44 PM »
The pics of Scottish gardens make me sorry for having not visited any, yet! Flowering rape has a wonderful scent, wafted over quite a long distance, I noticed. It must be great to enjoy the rhododendrons in flower and that lovely smell at the same time!

Chris, Your Weldenia candida looks very attractive!

Shelagh, Your Gymnocarpium robertianum would be a great asset to my garden if I only could grow more ferns.

Stefan, nice scenes from Your garden. The first pic shows a flowering quince?

Akke, I simply enjoy plants enhancing each other, either those growing wild or planted in the garden. Even in the garden, some assemble by chance, like the golden balm and Parameconopsis cambrica in my vegetable garden, due to the use of lots of compost.

In this case the flowers of self-sown Anthriscus sylvestris adorn the leaves of Polygonum microcephalum ´Red Dragon´.

Robert, I marvel at Your rhododendrons, I wouldn´t have thought that they´ll grow in California. Due to the heat and drought of recent years, we lost more than half of them, this trio represents some of the survivors.

Another plant which suffered from the drought is Saxifraga granulata ´Plena´. I didn´t plant it in this spot, but somehow it managed to move into the shelter of Lamium maculatum.

When I got Lathyrus laxiflorus from Bulgaria I thought it would prefer a drier place in the garden, as L. vernus does. But during the dry spell we faced recently it didn´t look happy.

Travel / Places to Visit / Re: Early spring in Andalusia
« Last post by barbartleus on May 19, 2022, 04:37:03 PM »
I love Andalusia. I recommend visiting at least one of the so-called "white cities."
« Last post by Maggi Young on May 19, 2022, 04:14:52 PM »
From the Perthshire garden of Anton Edwards:
"Rhododendrons and Rape all at their best. Time to move on now....."

In answer to the question.... Do you have bulbs in the area of longer grass?
    " Indeed we do. Started by planting a few thousand crocus to brighten up March, leave cutting till mid June or thereabouts. And now the uncut areas are developing bluebells, Fritillaria meleagris and Lady’s Smock."

"Fed up with gaudy rhododendrons? Try Clematis ‘Freda’ on a south wall: just needs water and mulch round the base occasionally."

« Last post by Graham Catlow on May 19, 2022, 03:07:14 PM »
Here’s some from today.

Weldenia candida - just a pity the flowers only last a day.

Fritillaria camschatcencis

Rhodohypoxis ‘Albrighton’

Erinus alpinus with two Salix boydii. I’m hoping the Erinus will seed into all the crevices eventually.
Blogs and Diaries / Re: Fred's Carnivorous Plants and other oddities
« Last post by fredg on May 19, 2022, 07:12:22 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal