We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus ID  (Read 325 times)

Cariad

Galanthus ID
« on: March 14, 2024, 03:03:42 PM »
Hello

Can anyone help with the ID of this variety? It is from the scharlockii group and has flowers similar in size to Selina Cords. flowering period is from Mid Feb. As you can see from the pic there are two clear green marks on the outer and a solid green mark on the inner segments. The usual story - label is missing in action. I know this is a long shot any pointers welcome.
warning: this is the first time I have tried to attach pics - so here goes!!!

Stefan B.

Re: Galanthus ID
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2024, 06:39:22 AM »
Cariad, Galanthus 'Fieldgate Forte' looks like yours, good luck!

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2024, 01:37:14 PM »
Cariad, Galanthus 'Fieldgate Forte' looks like yours, good luck!

I agree, the flower looks very similar.  But I don't think 'Fieldgate Forte' is a Scharlockii (perhaps that was implied in your comment).
Almost in Scotland.

Cariad

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2024, 02:47:38 PM »
Thanks Stefan and Alan. I agree it looks very much like Fieldgate Forte. However there are the tell tale signs of the scharlockii "donkeys ears" (which aren't clear in the pic) which suggest different parentage.

Mariette

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2024, 04:27:58 PM »
I think the enlarged spathes of ´Fielgate Forte´remind of scharlockii, though it´s no G. nivalis of that group. As far as I know the "donkey ears" are inherited from ´Modern Art´, which is no G. nivalis.

Stefan B.

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2024, 06:09:49 PM »
Galanthus 'Hulky Star' is a scharlockii but it's hard to tell if they are identical to yours, Cariad. It is very difficult to find a "needle in a haystack" :)
My advice to you is to ask the person you got this snowdrop from or the merchant you bought it from, it will be easiest that way. Of course, if that's possible.

Cariad

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2024, 01:51:04 PM »
Thank you all for the helpful ideas .

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal