We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Terrestrial orchids 2011 to 2014  (Read 70776 times)

goofy

Re: Terrestrial orchids 2011 to 2014
« Reply #285 on: August 17, 2013, 07:55:34 AM »
Dieter,
S. macloughlinii was a new name to me, so I looked up a few references. It appears on IPNI, although I'm not sure whether they regard it as a separate species, but Kew seem to have it listed as a synonym for S. woodii.
http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/search?q=Stenoglottis

Looks like the taxonomists are hard at work confusing us poor mortals again.  ;)

hello Peter,
I am neither a botanist nor taxonomist.

I just told, what I have seen with my own eyes.
and if you look at the pictures (platzafrica) ,
you can see the differences.

And as I already wrote, they are growing in different parts of SA.

BUT we have many severe other problems on this world..................

cheers

Pete Clarke

« Reply #286 on: August 22, 2013, 01:52:42 PM »
Flowering for the first time for me, the glorious Habenaria myriotricha.
Birmingham, Midlands, UK

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #287 on: August 22, 2013, 01:55:20 PM »
Crikey Pete, that's fantastic!
You would think a pollinator heading to that flower would be terrified of being captured  :o

You guys are always astounding me with the range of plants you grow!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 01:58:15 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #288 on: August 24, 2013, 11:59:11 AM »
Sven de Groot is showing another lovely Habenaria, with a large mottled blueish leaf, in the VRV forum -  he thinks it might be H. glaucifolia

http://www.vrvforum.be/forum/index.php?topic=343.msg49389#msg49389

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #290 on: August 24, 2013, 01:39:02 PM »
Yes, this link to a photo of the foliage is  similar too:
http://www.efloras.org/object_page.aspx?object_id=89698&flora_id=800

Interesting plant.

Danshi

« Reply #291 on: September 02, 2013, 08:55:57 PM »
You would think a pollinator heading to that flower would be terrified of being captured  :o
Talking about pollinators, has someone tried crossing this with one of the more colourful species like H. rhodocheila? Bet there is potential.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #292 on: September 07, 2013, 07:19:32 AM »
I bought this at an orchid show in Howick village, about 15 minutes north of me late winter 2011. It was in flower then. Once it was past I repotted it and put it under a tree at the edge of the garden. Once I saw three flowering spikes appear I put it on the patio. I has taken months for them to grow and the flowers started opening this week. The stems are the best part of a metre long.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

fredg

• Carnivorous Plants & Friends
« Reply #293 on: September 13, 2013, 05:00:09 PM »
I acquired these little chaps a few years ago. They eventually flowered for a couple of years then 'disappeared'. Some weeds came up but as I pulled the first one I noticed a small tuber on the end (ooooops). Left to their own devices they continued to send up the weed type growth. This spring I decided to repot and the results aren't too bad.  ;D
Pterostylis coccinea*

There should also be a few Pterostylis obtusa mixed in with these, fingers crossed.

* aka Diplodium coccinea
Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
Mansfield Notts. UK Zone 8b

http://fredg.boards.net/

orchidsworld

« Reply #294 on: September 16, 2013, 06:52:16 PM »
Chloraea lamellata

I just view your pocture ! Really beautiful species... Is it possible to buy Chloraea and other species like that in Europa ???
François, Switzerland - growing only terrestrial orchids

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #295 on: September 16, 2013, 11:10:23 PM »
François,

I have never seen adult plants for sale in Europe (although I believe that some were available several years ago), but have managed to obtain a flasked seedling of Chloraea alpina which is now in its second year after deflasking - not sure if that source has any more, he mainly raises tropical orchids.

As you seem to be having great success with seeds, you could try Chileflora (www.chileflora.com) who list a number of species of Chloraea (look under 'perennials' in the seed shop). I've not used the company myself (yet!), but have heard that other people have been happy with what they supply.

A question about seed sowing (something that I'm about to try for the first time) - which medium did you use for your Australian terrestrials' sowing medium. I have some Sigma Adritch Phytamax on order for Cypripediums, would this be suitable for Thelymitra, etc?
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

orchidsworld

« Reply #296 on: September 17, 2013, 05:32:16 AM »
Thanks Peter :)

A question about seed sowing (something that I'm about to try for the first time) - which medium did you use for your Australian terrestrials' sowing medium. I have some Sigma Adritch Phytamax on order for Cypripediums, would this be suitable for Thelymitra, etc?

For my australian, I use Western medium (http://westernorchids.com.au/tissueculture-mediaformulae.html). I will also use it for south-african species... I never tried Phytamax, but why not... I want to try several media for sowing, like W3, Orchimax, HCM1a... with / without coco  water, with / without banana... You have to try, because it can work on some species, but not on others...
François, Switzerland - growing only terrestrial orchids

Darren

« Reply #297 on: September 17, 2013, 07:24:22 AM »
François,

I have never seen adult plants for sale in Europe (although I believe that some were available several years ago), but have managed to obtain a flasked seedling of Chloraea alpina which is now in its second year after deflasking - not sure if that source has any more, he mainly raises tropical orchids.

Peter - if it was Equatorial Plants then he still had flasks of C. alpina this spring as I bought a flask of seedlings from him at the RHS London orchid show in April. Much to my surprise and delight they de-flasked well and are now pushing up proper leaves. Among the other flasks he had were several other nice terrestrials, Amitostigma keiskei (which I also bought and successfully weaned), Goodyera schlechtendaliana (which I wish I'd bought), several Stenoglottis species.
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #298 on: September 17, 2013, 04:39:02 PM »
Darren,

It was Equatorial Plants, so he must have made subsequent sowings as I bought my seedling about two and a half years ago at the Raby Orchid show. It stayed in the flask for a further twelve months before I plucked up the courage to deflask it!.
Potted up in a clay long tom with a mineral mix (I understand that they do not take well to root disturbance, so I've overpotted it at present) it grew on for the rest of the season standing in the water-tray with my Disas. It has recently started to regrow for another season, so I reckon we can call that one a success.
If Richard Warren has some more terrestrials, then I must contact him and get his list - and another C alpina for insurance.  ;)
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Darren

« Reply #299 on: September 18, 2013, 08:21:04 AM »
I'm giving mine similar treatment Peter, for the same reasons. I de-flasked almost immediately (early May) and potted straight into a mix which is mostly cat litter, grit and perlite. Like you I've used a big clay pot. I stood the pot outside on a shelf against the north side of our shed. They started pushing up surprisingly big new leaves around a month ago. I will bring the pot under glass shortly, before we get frost.

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal