We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Seed Exchange / Re: Ipomoea - and a few other seeds for swap
« Last post by Jeffnz on February 26, 2024, 11:11:56 PM »
Probably Ipomoea tricolor, blue flowers.
« Last post by Hans J on February 26, 2024, 10:41:21 PM »
Here in my climate they are not hardy - the annual I must grow every year new
The perennial ( sometimes with caudex ) are in pots - summer outside ...in winter in my greenhouse or basement
Sometimes survive here seeds of I.purpurea and grow in next spring without any help ...but no problem !

Which species grows in your area ?
Galanthus / G. nivalis Flore Pleno - mutation
« Last post by Peter S. on February 26, 2024, 08:32:03 PM »
Hi all.
I founded it two weeks ago among my G. nivalis Flore Pleno. It's not a seedling, but a mutation of one bulb of the offset, the bulb was separated from the rest. To me the flower looks like 'Richard Ayres'. I don't grow this variety, I can only tell about the similarity based on the photos. Typical double-form with a cross-shaped marking on the inner tepals. However, 'Richard Ayres' is one of the largest-flowered double snowdrops and my case is much smaller.  It is the first year of flowering, perhaps the next one brings bigger flowers. And as you can see, the petals are not in the best condition. Among the petals of over 200 flowers of Flore Pleno, only these were partially consumed or deformated.
The flowers can be diffrent, if the mutation turns out to be stable. Is there a good chance that it will last? Or are new varieties obtained from seedlings more reliable? And above all, is this mutation really similar to 'Richard Ayres' or maybe to another variety?
Thank you in advance for any tips on this matter.

« Last post by Jeffnz on February 26, 2024, 07:05:30 PM »
In warmer climates they can be aggressive growers and once established difficult to control. Locally have seen roadside trees/shrubs totally engulfed by the vine, spectacular show when in bloom though.
Hepatica / Re: Hepatica 2024
« Last post by Herman Mylemans on February 26, 2024, 06:21:36 PM »
Hepatica americana ex Eco Strain seedling from 2021

Hepatica americana in the garden.

Hepatica nobilis var. nobilis 'Ohleila'

Hepatica 'Millstream Merlin'
NARCISSUS / Re: Narcissus 2024
« Last post by Robert on February 26, 2024, 05:01:53 PM »
Hi Yann,

Thank you for sharing your photograph of Narcissus assoanus. Below is a photograph of Narcissus assoanus currently blooming in our Sacramento garden. Our plants look very similar to yours. Many years ago many of the Narcissus “species” I received and grew from seed turned out to be unintended hybrids. I have to admit to a great deal of confusion regarding this species. In my research I have found a great deal of conflicting information. One authority lists 2 subspecies of Narcissus assoanus, ssp. assoanus and ssp. praelongus. 4 varieties of subspecies assaonus are listed. None of the descriptions match the plants blooming in our garden.

In addition, I have always considered Narcissus x suzannae as a cross of N. triandrus x cantabricus. I am finding a great deal of conflicting information in this regard too. By any chance do you know where I can find up-to-date taxonomic information regarding the genus Narcissus in the English language?

« Last post by Herman Mylemans on February 26, 2024, 09:31:41 AM »
Thank you Marc and Herbert!

Herman here the names from the 5 plants

1. Hep. jap 'Haato No Kingu'
2. unnamed filled red Hepatica japonica
3. H. j. 'Touyama shigure'
4. H.j. 'Harebutai'
5. H. pubescens ex 'Hohobeni'
Thank you Patrick!
« Last post by Herman Mylemans on February 26, 2024, 09:29:47 AM »
Arthur, beautiful selfseedlings! On 13 April we are going with 12 Belgium flower lovers to the market in Kiekeberg (Germany).  Maybe there will be also some people from this forum.
« Last post by Hans J on February 26, 2024, 08:32:47 AM »
not invasiv :)
I still love this climing plants and I try each year more and others !
I can really suggest this plants 8)
« Last post by Starking007 on February 26, 2024, 05:20:31 AM »
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal