We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula Wharfedale Series  (Read 6648 times)

Rupert

Primula Wharfedale Series
« on: January 26, 2020, 12:02:36 PM »
I am trying to grow all the Wharfdale series of Primulas and so far I have got Bluebell, Buttercup, Gem, Lavender, Superb and Village. I know that there is also Ballerina and Sunshine, but does anyone have a definitive list, or know of any others and their location please?

Pennine Wanderer

Re: Primula Wharfedale Series
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 09:00:27 AM »
Try Hartside

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 12:21:09 PM »
The Wharfedale series were originally bred by   Alec Stubbs who lived in Grassington, Wharfedale, in the Yorkshire Dales. I think, but am not sure, that they were bred in the 1970's or perhaps the 80's. There are two people who might have some further information. The first is Terry Mitchell who is the Secretary of The Northern Section of The Auricula and Primula Society and he can be contacted at zen142210@zen.co uk  he lives, I think in Ossett which is not all that far from the Yorkshire Dales.The other is Secretary of the Midlands and West Section of NAPS at neiltyess@btinternet.com  .
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 05:27:02 PM by Maggi Young »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 10:20:31 AM »
I remember Alec well selling his Primulas out of the back of his van in the car park at Shows.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Margaret Thorne

• Mountain Explorer
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 01:01:53 PM »
We still have "Wharfedale Ling", purchased in March 1997 for £2 and our very ancient copy of 'The Plantfinder' lists "Gem", "Superb" and "Village".
Broughton Heights, Scottish Borders

Rupert

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 10:34:46 AM »
Thanks all responders for your help.
 David Nicholson; Thanks for the info re Neil Tyers. He was very helpful.
I am still looking for suppliers of Ballerina, Butterfly and a new one to me, Richards.
Thanks all.

Graeme

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 08:56:52 PM »
Thanks all responders for your help.
 David Nicholson; Thanks for the info re Neil Tyers. He was very helpful.
I am still looking for suppliers of Ballerina, Butterfly and a new one to me, Richards.
Thanks all.
Have you tried Fir Croft, Calver - he has a lot of Primula's - I replace my W Village every so often from there when I kill it with kindness

All my books are packed away at the moment but if you can find a copy of Primulas by Mary Robinson I am sure a lot of the hybrids are listed in there
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

ruweiss

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 09:13:32 PM »
Wharfedale Super Seedling from Gerd Stopp, easy to cultivate and
very floriferous:
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Tristan_He

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 03:07:06 PM »
Hi there, Aberconwy Nursery in N Wales usually have a few of these primulas. They don't do mail order unfortunately but will usually bring plants to shows. None showing on their list at the moment but worth dropping them a line anyway as they often have other stuff.

ruweiss

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 09:02:56 PM »
Primula allionii ´Warfedale Ling
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 05:36:24 PM »
I have just received this email from a friend of Alec Stubbs -  raiser  of  so many  quality primulas to let us know  he has died.

Philp Walker  writes:

"Hello,

it may be of interest to you that my friend and ex work colleague Mr Alec Stubbs died at the weekend.

He was a quite famous breeder of Alpines and Primulas of many kinds, his Wharfedale series maybe the most well-known, but he also bred many Auriculas, such as Stubbs Tartan. He was most active in the 1970's early 1980's and I can still remember going into his greenhouses at his house / nursery in Grassington and seeing the fantastic displays in spring !

In one of your forum discussions in 2017 he wasas referred to as the late Alec Stubbs, which made me chuckle as I had just been talking to him in Grassington.

I'm sure many of your Scottish Rock Garden Club will have known him or have grown or are still growing plants bred by him.

I just thought that the SRGC would want to know of his passing.

Kind regards,

Philip Walker"

I hope Mr Walker  will pass on our  condolences  to Mr Stubbs' family at this sad time.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal