We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: SRGC seed exchange in 2022/2023  (Read 7275 times)

ruweiss

Re: SRGC seed exchange in 2022/2023
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2023, 09:35:52 PM »
Margaret,
In my experience it is no prpblem to germinate good viable Mutisia seeds. My problem was to
grow the resulting plants on. The only species which grows really vigorous in my conditions is
Mutisia spinosa, it sometimes produces self sown seedlings.
I sow the seeds after arrival together with the other alpines in square plastic pots and place them
together in a well drained box to an uncovered frame in the open garden. It is wise to cover it with
a net to keep cats and scratching birds away. When germination is visible I put them under glas and
give them the usual treatment like the other alpines. Wish you good luck wiith these fine plants.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

ruweiss

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2023, 09:49:32 PM »
Mutisia spinosa

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2023, 07:08:34 AM »
do they need cold to germinate?

I once had a 40 cm high plant, but it died from the foot in summer, a kind of black necrosis
 so this year I'm lightening the substrate again.
But it could also be because the roots heat up more in the pot than in the ground, right?

I too have sown them at least 3 times (or 4? or 5?), as for the climbing Aconite and the climbing Dicentra, I don't know how far to be stubborn ;D

I have ordered the proposed species from the srgc again. I hope I will get them, but probably not before March.

Ruweiss, your pictures are great. What a beautiful plant! (especially for me, who is very attracted to climbers.

is Mutisia spinosa more vigorous when self-seeded?
what kind of soil do you have in your garden?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2023, 07:12:32 AM »
have you ever tried to take a cutting?
 sometimes a cutting becomes more vigorous because it has more roots...

I'm also dreaming of a species with orange flowers ... ::)

Ruweiss, where you live, it is cold in winter in your region, this Mutisa has withstood how much (in°) frost?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 07:19:45 AM by Véronique Macrelle »

Margaret

« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2023, 06:24:18 PM »
Hi Rudi, thank you for the reply and lovely photos. I have been trying to germinate them in a cold greenhouse and so  they get some frost. I'm feeling a bit encouraged that you find M. spinosa easy. I will put this batch of seed outside and maybe put some vermiculite in the compost.

Hi Veronique, my sympathies about the difficulty in germinating climbers. Recently I've had success growing my own clematis seed!
Margaret
Greenwich

corydalisambigua

« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2023, 12:11:24 AM »
Thank you to all the organizers, seed doners, sorters and mailers! We appreciate you!!! :) :) :) :)

MarcR

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2023, 12:32:09 AM »
have you ever tried to take a cutting?
 sometimes a cutting becomes more vigorous because it has more roots...

I'm also dreaming of a species with orange flowers ... ::)

Ruweiss, where you live, it is cold in winter in your region, this Mutisa has withstood how much (in°) frost?

Véronique,

Ruweiss's signature says that he lives in southern Germany zone 8a.
That means that his low temperatures range between -9.4 and -12.2 C

Most soils along the Danube are limestone; but if he is in a hardwood forest area he could have acid soil.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

ruweiss

« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2023, 07:16:48 PM »
Margaret and Veronique,
Thank you for your kind replies, hope, that i can answer your questions. Our small garden is behind the
house, surrounded by other gardens and houses, so the miicroclimate is not so good for the cultivation
of my beloved high alpine cushion plants. Many plants, which were no problem 20 years ago are no impossible
to cultivate for me. Temperatures over 33°C are simply lethal for them.
We live in a limestone region ( good for growing wine), so I created a small region with acid soil, this is also
the place where Mutisia spinosa grows.
The lowest temperatures were -14°C, only sometimes for a short time, but enough to damage and kill some tender
plants. I don`t know, if M. spinosa needs cold to germinate, in my experience rain and snow  is also important.
Black plastic pots are probably the reason for losses by overheating of the roots by the sun, plunging  or planting
as soon as possible are maybe better. Space in our garden is very limited, so I didn't make cuttings.

Richard Green

• Journal Access Group
  • SRGC Treasurer
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2023, 09:01:43 PM »
To all our overseas members:

We are currently very much in the dark as to when Royal Mail will again start to accept overseas mail.  The latest position can be found on the Royal Mail website https://www.royalmail.com/service-update where it currently says that no parcels are being accepted.  We are told that this means anything containing "goods" which includes seeds. 

Most of our overseas mail meaning that mail going to USA, Canada, New Zealand, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, Russia, Korea, China, Khazakhstan (and several other countries) is already franked, and sitting in mail sacks waiting acceptance by our Post Office.  We are checking the position on a daily basis, and shall send out your seed as soon as we are allowed to do so.

Our European Union, Northern Irish and Australian members willl have to wait for phyto checks to be carried out as usual, before seed can be mailed out to you.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 11:33:33 PM by Richard Green »
Richard Green - Balfron Station, West Central Scotland

Jeffnz

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2023, 09:55:34 PM »
Hi Richard
Does a phyto check mean a phyto sanitary certificate, htis is currently not a requirement for seed saint to NZ.
Jeff

Richard Green

• Journal Access Group
  • SRGC Treasurer
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2023, 11:30:55 PM »
Hi Jeff,
Yes, by "phyto" I do mean a phytosanitary certificate.  We have been sending seed abroad for many years, so we are very well aware that NZ doesn't need any phyto for seed listed as "Basic" on the NZ MPI PIER database.  I think you may have misunderstood my previous post, so I have now edited my wording to make it clearer for everyone.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 11:37:07 PM by Richard Green »

Jeffnz

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2023, 12:29:59 AM »
Sorry for my mis understanding but thx for the clarification.
Jeff

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2023, 07:42:56 PM »
My seeds from the AGS just arrived in Canada, so it should be safe for you to mail the SRGC ones.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Richard Green

• Journal Access Group
  • SRGC Treasurer
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2023, 10:31:15 PM »
Diane, your AGS seeds will have been mailed out before the recent cyber attack. 

As I explained in my earlier posts (dated 25 January), the UK Royal Mail is currently refusing to accept any outgoing overseas parcels.  It is very frustrating because we have several mail sacks of seed orders sitting here which we cannot send out.  We are checking the position on a daily basis and shall send them (including your own order!) just as soon as we are allowed to do so.   
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 10:32:53 PM by Richard Green »

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2023, 11:03:39 PM »
Yes, I've just checked the date they were sent, Richard, and it was January 6.

Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal