We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Epimedium - various threads gathered together here  (Read 227575 times)

Renate Brinkers

Re: Epimedium 2009
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 09:33:48 PM »
Do anyone knows whether it is a question of culture, the place where they grow or the species why some loose most or all of the leafes in winter and some keep all leafes the whole year? I have not a lot Epimedium but for example `Lilafee´allways loose every leaf and builds new one in spring and E.accuminatum never looses one leaf.
Best wishes,
Renate

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 09:46:05 PM »
Hi Renate,

Could your epimedium be E. x warleyense?  I have this and it is that orange-y shade.  Sorry, I have no idea why some lose all their foliage and others don't the big ones I have that are easy to grow are E. perralchicum and these don't lose their leaves at all, I cut them all off in February so I can enjoy the new foliage and flowers.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

maggiepie

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 09:55:29 PM »
Lori, thanks for the info, you must have a fabulous reference library.

Shelagh, thanks for mentioning the SSS, must be a nice surprise when you find one.

Hans, good to know your seeds germinated, I wonder how long the seedlings will take to flower.
Helen Poirier , Australia

Renate Brinkers

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 10:05:29 PM »
Chris,
thanks for your help, I checked some pictures of E. x warleyense and I think, you are right. I love this colour.
Best wishes,
Renate

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2009, 10:13:44 PM »
Renate :

I suppose your plant is E.x warleyense 'Orangekönigin'
.....wait - until my will flower we can comepare ...
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Greenmanplants

• With Sparklers in November
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2009, 11:31:44 PM »
Christine,
I think your leaf problem is windburn, sometimes happens, more often with new foliage.

Renate,
Some of the species are deciduous. E. grandiflorum E. x youngianum cultivars which are the older garden hybrids, also E. brevicornu and E. alpinum.

The Chinese ones do not like it too dry in summer, Scotland should be ideal! Hampshire is not.  The Japanese ones are not too keen on alkaline situations and also need some summer moisture although not as fussy as the chinese.  The old European ones are very tough plants and will practically survive in dust once established.
Cheers John H Hampshire
Cheers, John H. Hampshire
 England, zone 8/9

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2009, 11:35:40 PM »
I had in last year on my E.pinnatum ssp.colchicum fertil seeds - I have sent it to a friend in England and he has confirm me that they have germinatet .

I had the seeds from Hans and they have germinated well.I also collected a dozen seeds from a number of my plants and at the moment have eight seedlings up.I expect these arose from crosses between my different plants as I only have one of each.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2009, 10:37:58 AM »
here some new pics from today :

122287-0

Epimedium X youngianum 'Roseum'

122289-1

Epimedium platypetalum

122291-2

Epimedium grandiflorum 'Lilafee'

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2009, 10:39:59 AM »
Renate :

here is a pic of my

122293-0

Epimedium X warleyense 'Orangekoenigin'

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2009, 11:40:58 AM »
Hans,

With all of these out in flower at the same time, do you try to hybridise them?  I never think of it when mine are in flower, but it is something I want to do at some point just to see what results.  I think trying seed from Ep hybrids would be very cool, never quite knowing what you would end up with.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2009, 11:45:01 AM »
Paul ,

:o no  :o

I always prefer more species ....and I do not like making more hybrids ....
a other problem is the room ...

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2009, 11:57:07 AM »
Hans,

Fair enough, each to his own.  I can see both sides of the coin on that, wanting to make sure that the pure strain is kept for the species.... but I still can't help wondering what exactly would end up as a result of crossing one thing with another. ;)  And the other problem with species is that if you don't want hybrids then you need to have the plants completely isolated and hand pollinated to guarantee that what you are collecting is pure species seed.  Most of us don't have the space to undertake that sort of thing unfortunately.  ::)  It all comes down to space, doesn't it!  :'(
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 11:59:06 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2009, 08:50:03 PM »
We saw some very interesting new ones today, The Edrom people are getting new ones from Japan.  Can't wait to see what comes of that.  I bought E. 'Amber Queen'.  Flowers are large and quite tall.  But they had more.... hmmmm
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Renate Brinkers

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2009, 10:06:36 PM »
John,
thanks, that helps a lot.
Best wishes,
Renate

Renate Brinkers

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2009, 10:13:56 PM »
Hans,
great new pics.
It seems as the flowers of `Orangekoenigin´are a bit lighter orange but I don´t feel able to decide whether the difference is big enough to say: It is E. x warleyens or it is `Orangekoenigin´. I will try to find informations about the diffences between the species and `Orangekoenigin´.
Best wishes,
Renate

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal