We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Epimedium - various threads gathered together here  (Read 227621 times)

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
Re: Epimedium - various threads gathered together here
« Reply #930 on: May 12, 2019, 02:18:25 PM »
We have had quite cold early May this year, the past week it has been below zero in my garden almost every night. Coldest has been -5 in two nights and mostly -2-3C. I didn't think to protect Epimediums, and now noticed that their flower stems have suffered from cold and most of the flowers are gone. :( In the first picture is what I think frost damage. Next year I will remember that they are not so hardy.
Only one of my ex 'Amber Queen' seedlings flowers survived, and it is quite pretty.
'Orange Königin' and Epimedium x rubrum hasn't been affected by cold, they are flowering ok in spite of cold nights.

Sorry to hear about this Leena  :'( It is disappointing not to see how the flowers look; but the one remaining is very pretty :)
The new growth, leaves and flowers stems are indeed very susceptible to below zero temp. and -5C is indeed a bit too much. It also depends in what stage they are, you've seen how 'thin' the new leaves are when emerging.

This is one reason I prefer a 'normal' spring, which starts slowly without pushing everything in growth.

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

hamparstum

• knowledge unexercised is wasted learning
« Reply #931 on: May 12, 2019, 02:37:27 PM »
Thanks to climatic change it would seem that erratic spring or fall temperatures are going to be the normal... :'(
Hopefully I will still try Epimedium as a shade garden plant. It is thus very useful to see these particular last posts because it reminds me of the type of spring care they will need. One day I'll manage to get fresh seeds from you Gabriela. The necessary timing is at present too complex but one never has to lose hope in that respect.
Arturo
Arturo Tarak

Gabriela

« Reply #932 on: May 13, 2019, 07:56:51 PM »
Thanks to climatic change it would seem that erratic spring or fall temperatures are going to be the normal... :'(
Hopefully I will still try Epimedium as a shade garden plant. It is thus very useful to see these particular last posts because it reminds me of the type of spring care they will need. One day I'll manage to get fresh seeds from you Gabriela. The necessary timing is at present too complex but one never has to lose hope in that respect.
Arturo

Hi Arturo, yes Epimediums are most beautiful shade plants with a specific charm.
If you are really interested and not fussy about the species I could send you few seeds (if any are set). You'll just have to remind me around mid June about it because
this year I am not looking to collect seeds for myself. I have too many seedlings on the roll already; neither I have the slight intention to ever sell seeds (for many reasons).
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #933 on: May 25, 2019, 08:36:37 AM »
Right now is flowering E.versicolor 'Sulphureum' on the right, but what is the Epimedium on the left? I have gotten it in a plant swap with no name. It flowers later than 'Orange Königin'.
Leena from south of Finland

Gabriela

« Reply #934 on: May 28, 2019, 01:03:47 AM »
It could be a seedling from an E. x warleyense clone Leena.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #935 on: May 28, 2019, 06:59:48 PM »
Thanks Gabriela.  :)
It is a bit smaller than 'Orange Königin', but very nice and is spreading so it is doing well. :)
Leena from south of Finland

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #936 on: June 20, 2019, 04:45:28 PM »
It could be a seedling from an E. x warleyense clone Leena.

In my experience, E. x warleyense is sterile (makes no seed).

Been sowing lots of Epimedium seed as they ripen, here's a flat of 'Ninja Stars' x manual crosses (mostly with acuminatum 'Night Mistress')
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #937 on: June 20, 2019, 05:12:32 PM »
I just spotted this posting and I can't believe it goes back to 2009 and I was posting on it then. I must be older than I think :D
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #938 on: November 16, 2019, 11:46:20 AM »
thank you Mark McDonough for this picture of seedling, I had never seen one;  ... it germinates easily?
they are very curious, these seedlings ...

Could you tell me at what time it is best to divide? or rather pick up shards around, to multiply an Epimedium (E. Orange Koninghii, it spreads well and I want little bits for the fairs to give  to my association).

is it possible now?

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #939 on: January 03, 2020, 02:44:43 AM »
thank you Mark McDonough for this picture of seedling, I had never seen one;  ... it germinates easily?
they are very curious, these seedlings ...

Could you tell me at what time it is best to divide? or rather pick up shards around, to multiply an Epimedium (E. Orange Koninghii, it spreads well and I want little bits for the fairs to give  to my association).

is it possible now?

Hello Veronique, I haven't been on forums for quite a number of weeks, sorry for late response to your inquiry.  Yes, Epimedium seed germinates easily, but one must follow some basic rules.  Seed is ephemeral, it must be sown soon after harvest and not allowed to dry out.  I sow seed within 2-3 days of harvest, storing the seed for those few days in plastic sandwich bags to keep them fresh. I sow on pressed fiber flats, cover the seed thinly, add a thin layer of spruce needles or composted bark much, then cover the flats with wire to protect against chipmunks and squirrels, the flats rest on the ground or layer of bark mulch, positioned in filtered shade. During hot and dry summer weather I sprinkle the flats every few days. They remain in contact with the ground all winter long, then typically germinate readily in spring.  Young seedlings are easy to handle and transplant readily. 

So far as best time to divide Epimedium, always best in spring when they are just emerging.  Late spring is okay too, but a bit tricky to untangle the stems and foliage, but I end up doing lots of division in late spring before hot weather arrives.

4 photos:
1. freshly germinated Epimedium seedlings, April 01, 2016
2. spring seedlings, May 09, 2011
3. hybrid seedlings in summer, July 01, 2012 - I try to get them planted by end of summer
4. individual seedlings separated out, being planted out later than I like, on Oct 19, 2016
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #940 on: January 03, 2020, 07:17:11 AM »
thank you Mark, it's very interesting

to get seed pods, do you pollinate manually or let the insects do it?

I know you have to cross 2 clones ... I can cross for example E. warleyense Orange Konigin with a wild E. warleyense? or any other species?

Gabriela

« Reply #941 on: January 05, 2020, 11:38:14 PM »
Véronique - if you go back on this thread at page 61 you will find the answer to your questions. It is always worth checking back.   http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=3374.msg391670#msg391670
Two years ago I also asked Mark how to do the controlled pollination.

You can let the insects do their job or follow Mark's advice.
What you cross is up to you, I think best to have in mind what traits you would like the hybrids to have.

Here's one happy result of insect pollination; a hybrid I showed before here but only gave it a name last year.
Epimedium 'New Horizons' showing the new foliage in May.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 04:07:42 PM by Maggi Young »
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #942 on: April 27, 2020, 04:32:00 PM »
Mala Janes in Northumberland  wonders  if  we  can get  an ID  for this  Epimedium ....  perhaps HansJ or   McMark will see this and  give  an opinion?

665690-0
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 04:34:54 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #943 on: May 04, 2020, 06:35:46 PM »
It’s a lovely one, and sadly I don’t grow it.  Will be watching for it’s name ...
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #944 on: May 05, 2020, 11:19:24 AM »
Hans J. thinks it   is  likely  to  be Epimedium youngianum 'Roseum'
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal