We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Epimedium - various threads gathered together here  (Read 230665 times)

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
Re: Epimedium 2012
« Reply #735 on: April 22, 2012, 11:43:50 PM »
Thanks Paul, they're very photogenic "eppies". :D

For Emma, here are a couple views of small-flowered epimediums, namely a mature clump of Epimedium pubigerum and E. x setosum (hybrids between diphyllum and sempervirens).  Both have lots of flowers above the foliage that easily make up for their small size, and at least with E. pubigerum, it is among the most reliably evergreen species here.  Garden Vision Epimediums sells 4 different clones, I grow each of them, all are distinct and really good plants.

E. pubigerum - with clouds of little creamy flowers.
348626-0

E. x setosum, which build low clumps of overlapping leaves, topped with charming white flowers.  Fall leaf color is excellent too.
348628-1

E. pubigerum hybrid, with flowers more decidely yellow, the florets about twice the size (which isn't saying all that much).  I was pleased to discover first bloom on it a recently, a 2-year old seedling.
348630-2
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #736 on: May 03, 2012, 03:12:27 PM »
Thanks YT, fascinating to learn the history of these words and names.  Maybe you can comment on the following one.  I have uploaded 2 photos of Epimedium grandiflorum 'Bicolor Giant', introduced here in the USA by Darrell Probst, possible he is responsible for naming what was an unnamed variety. It is stated in the Garden Vision Epimediums nursery that this is "another giant red similar to 'Red Queen' and 'Orion', but with bi-colored bloom. Acquired from Gotumba Nursery, Japan in 1997 as a "pink grandiflorum".

Two photos of E. grandiflorum 'Bicolor Giant':
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

To compare, here is E. grandiflorum 'Orion'.  Takes a few years to get established, but it is a beauty with high flower power.  It stands straight up, the tall stalks with leaves well above the flowers, with highly visible dense clusters of rich rose-red flowers.  Garden Vision Epimediums says about this one:  a giant "red" flowered Epimedium probably originating from central Honshu in Japan.  This cultivar was named by American nurseryman Dick Weaver.

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

For comparison, here is a closeup flower view of E. grandiflorum 'Red Queen', probably the biggest of the grandiflorums, my plant over 36" (1 m) across x 30" tall, in full bloom now.

(Attachment Link)

All wonderful plants, Mark.

I've seen similar plants in Koen van Poucke's garden here in Belgium. Most of them were received from Japan without a name.

It will be very fun  ::) when different American and European breeders start naming these forms!

Mark, sorry for my slow response. As Wim mentioned, your wonderful epimediums are perhaps propagated by seeds from named plants (so many good forms are selected from wild habitat) in Japan, and were given names at the American nursery. I'm only sure of "Gotumba Nursery" in your post is "Gotemba Nursery" ;)
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

John Aipassa

« Reply #737 on: June 29, 2012, 12:18:39 PM »
Caught this little fellow with a fresh seed of Epimedium acuminatum "Night Mistress". How quick these ants are finding these seeds when it drops out of the pod.

It dragged the seed to its nest in the ground in my lawn. Will have to stop mowing when I see it germinating  ;D.
John Aipassa, Aalten, The Netherlands
z7, sandy soil, maritime climate

"In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous." - Aristotle

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Epimedium - various threads gathered together here
« Reply #738 on: March 27, 2015, 10:11:25 AM »
I have gathered various Epimedium threads together here- to make a more cohesive record for the genus.
There are, of course, many other threads relating to specific Epimedium species, or queries - which you can find throughout  the forum - but here are the main Epimedium threads  for the last few years. 
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
Re: Epimedium - various threads gathered together here
« Reply #739 on: March 28, 2015, 03:29:02 PM »
Good idea to combine them, it was fun looking through them again.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #740 on: March 28, 2015, 03:43:14 PM »
I thought they make a better resource together, McMark - more info on the genus that in some threads  ;)

Lots of other  small threads with individual queries or photos .... all there in the reach of the search facility, though.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

gerrit

« Reply #741 on: June 20, 2015, 06:35:06 PM »
Well, the last real post is from 2012.

I was thinking, the genus Epimedium needs some promotion.
As a belover of epimediums, i have collected more than a hundred species or cultivars. I selected 15 species, of which I think they are the best of the genus. A personal choice af course. My pictures will give you a personal view and may be controversial.
Please pay attention: Some photos will cause damage to your eyes. So, in that case, do not click the pic.

Number 15 is Epimedium x omeiense Stormcloud. The wild species, found on the mountain Omei, are unsurpassed.

Next species: Epimedium dolichostemon, very showy, flowers like diving seagulls.

Number 13: Epimedium grandiflorum 'Lilafee'.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 06:54:18 PM by gerrit »
Gerrit from the Netherlands
Gardener on the seabottom

gerrit

« Reply #742 on: June 20, 2015, 08:03:29 PM »
Next 3.

Epimedium davidii. A very good choise. Vigorous and long flowering. Often a second time in summer.

At 11, Koen van Poucke has made this very red one. Epimedium 'Red Maximum'.

Number 10 Epimedium 'Amber Queen, everybody loves this one.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 08:23:58 PM by gerrit »

gerrit

« Reply #743 on: June 21, 2015, 09:25:29 AM »
No. 9 of my best 15, Epimedium x omeiense 'Akane'.

On 8, Epimedium 'Spine Tingler'. with the very spiny long leaves. A stunning, very small plant, suitable for most rockgardens in the shade or on a north face of a hill

The 7th best, the long flowering 3 tones Epimedium x 'Yokihi'.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 09:31:49 AM by gerrit »

gerrit

« Reply #744 on: June 21, 2015, 09:48:29 AM »
Next three,

6. Epimedium 'Queen Esta'.
5. Epimedium 'Dark Beauty'. Both controversial images, some like it, most people not.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 10:00:00 AM by gerrit »

gerrit

« Reply #745 on: June 21, 2015, 10:01:42 AM »
4 th position is for Epimedium wushanense 'Caramel'.

3, the beautiful Epimedium fargesi 'Pink Constellation'.

The second best, Epimedium wushanense 'Nova'. CC 014193, which means: Darell Probst collection number.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 11:03:04 AM by gerrit »

gerrit

« Reply #746 on: June 21, 2015, 11:11:44 AM »
The best one, in my eyes, Epimedium x 'Pink Champagne'. For many years only available in the US, but now it jumped over "the pond", Both, foliage and inflorescens, above the leaves, make it irresistible.

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #747 on: September 15, 2015, 02:54:17 AM »
Some bits on Epimedium seeds & germination. Last year I’ve been attentive and collected seeds of E. ‘Amber Queen’. E. lishihchenii and E. davidii ‘Wolong Dwarfs’.
Quite a rare moment to find the seeds just ready to roll out:
[ Specified attachment is not available ]

I know the saying goes that they are self – incompatible, so I am expecting all of the seedlings will be hybrids. But this year, the only Epimedium in my garden was E.’Amber Queen’ and I collected more seeds. How about this? Could it be that the self-incompatibility may vary with the species? Or because ‘Amber Queen’ is a hybrid?

A few seedlings images:

Some seeds were sown right away and few were kept dry and sowed in late September. Pots were kept in an unheated garage (but it gets quite cold, sometimes below 0˚C). Almost all fresh sown seeds started to germinate in February and were placed under lights; although very delicate at the beginning, once they form the first true leaf they grow quite vigorously.
I will post soon pictures of their beautiful parents  :)

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #748 on: September 15, 2015, 09:18:15 PM »
I'll try to do a better job with the images this time.
Epimedium lishihchenii, my favourite Chinese Epimedium.
502217-0
Epimedium davidii 'Wolong Dwarfs'
502219-1
Epimedium 'Amber Queen'
502221-2
Another one that had seeds - Epimedium stellulatum 'Long leaf form'
502223-3
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #749 on: May 22, 2016, 10:10:43 AM »
This epimedium is a volunteer, germinated itself in a pot of something else given to me long ago my the Smethursts.  Is it something different or a species perhaps, any info would be great.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal