We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Reticulate Iris 2010  (Read 75044 times)

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
Re: Reticulate Iris 2010
« Reply #330 on: April 03, 2010, 11:09:08 AM »
On Thursday here was sunny, so picture of MvMurtries SEA GREEN from open garden. Yesterday started raining and it is still so. We got at present half of April ammount of water. So few pictures from greenhouse.
Iris reticulata from Turkey
Iris winogradowii
Iris kolpakowskiana from Kashka-Su in Khirghizstan and as last
3 pictures of my Iris pskemense from high mountains in mid-course of river Pskem in Uzbakistan.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #331 on: April 03, 2010, 11:36:27 AM »
Fascinating pictures again Janis, thank you for posting.
The 'Sea Green' is an interesting flower, presumably the 'whiskers' are modified standard petals?
I love the different Iris pskemense forms.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #332 on: April 03, 2010, 11:48:45 AM »
Janis , thank you for sharing with us splendid photos of so many different irises of the Reticulata section- always new ones for me to admire . How does I pskemense  differ botanically from I. kolpakowskiana ?

Otto.
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #333 on: April 03, 2010, 01:53:03 PM »
Janis , thank you for sharing with us splendid photos of so many different irises of the Reticulata section- always new ones for me to admire . How does I pskemense  differ botanically from I. kolpakowskiana ?

Otto.
I. kolpakowskiana is foothill plant, pskemense from high altitudes ~3000 m. In this aspect it is close to winkleriana, but corm tunics are of kolpakowskiana type. Bulb color in kolpakowskiana usually yellow, in pskemense and winkleri whitish. Kolpakowskiana usually forms a lot of grains, pskemense very few or none, as winkleri it rarely split. Fall in winkleri and kolpakowskiana (in both subspecies) is purple without rim, in pskemense rimmed white. Standarts are of different shape, too.
Janis

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #334 on: April 03, 2010, 03:42:55 PM »
All beautiful, but I. pskemense is my favourite in this little series !  Gorgeous !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #335 on: April 03, 2010, 10:38:10 PM »
I agree with Luc, just gorgeous!
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #336 on: April 04, 2010, 09:56:54 AM »
I just like 'em all ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #337 on: April 07, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
Janis,

It's a pleasure to see that light sky iris reticulata form blooming in your garden. I kept only a single small daughter bulb for me, but unfortunately it died the same year during winter due to overwatering the pot. Good to see it preserved.
Zhirair, Tulip collector, bulb enthusiast
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #338 on: April 11, 2010, 06:16:45 AM »
The last of reticulatas blooming allways is Iris winkleri from very high altitudes (3000m) in Khirghizstan. Unfortunately not easy in garden although sometimes it set seeds at present I have only those two, differently colored flowering plants, crosspollinated just after taking pictures. Just recently I found the spots where it was collected and where was our tend on Google Earth. The distance in straight line is 26 km one way, but we walked through mountains, up and down and winding, so it means that during this day we (Arnis and I) covered at least 60 km distance from 2000 to 3500 m altitude and back to tend. A almost incredible distance for which we needed ~15 hours (starting at 5 o'clock in morning and finishing after 8 in evening, in full darkness).
Janis
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 06:22:17 AM by Janis Ruksans »

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #339 on: April 11, 2010, 07:05:19 AM »
Beautiful flower Janis.  I was rereading Michael Hoog's comment on I. winkleri in The Plantsman (December 1980). He wrote that "The conditions of access at the period of flowering in this remote area are practically impossible.  Only an expedition by air (helicopter) would allow one to relocate it in the mountains, as Dr Rodionenko recently told us."  So well done you for finding it the old-fashioned way! (Although it would be good if the SRGC could invest in a forum helicopter to fly members out to visit such plants.....)
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #340 on: April 11, 2010, 10:02:43 AM »
Beautiful flower Janis.  I was rereading Michael Hoog's comment on I. winkleri in The Plantsman (December 1980). He wrote that "The conditions of access at the period of flowering in this remote area are practically impossible.  Only an expedition by air (helicopter) would allow one to relocate it in the mountains, as Dr Rodionenko recently told us."  So well done you for finding it the old-fashioned way! (Although it would be good if the SRGC could invest in a forum helicopter to fly members out to visit such plants.....)
I think it is the single locality visitable by foot. There long ago was military road still designed on Russian military maps with two lines, ditches on sides. We hoped to use this one by our hired car but at our visit from it remained only fragments, mostly it was washed away by Kugart's stream, landslides or covered by stoneslides. Of course it helped us much to go by car as close only possible although in several spots we stepped out of car, so unstable looked road. We put our tend at farest point, where road was completely washed away. But those further fragments helped us a lot. All other possible localities by map was reachable only by narrow foot or cattle passes and distance in one way was around 70-100 km.
Janis

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #341 on: April 11, 2010, 06:48:08 PM »
Janis,
the second photo of I. winkleri is a stunner. 8)
It is certainly worth all the hard work and run sweat ;D
Best wishes
Armin

olegKon

• onion farmer to the forum
« Reply #342 on: April 12, 2010, 08:30:43 AM »
Is this Iris reticulata Harmony, Folk?
in Moscow

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #343 on: April 12, 2010, 10:17:40 AM »
Is this Iris reticulata Harmony, Folk?
Harmony or Joyce - both very similar.
Janis

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #344 on: April 13, 2010, 06:41:10 PM »
Three hybrids between Iris winogradowii and I. histrioides - all quite similar, but slightly different in shade, shape of falls, position of spots etc.
Most widespread is Katharine Hodgkin, unfortunately quite often virus infected
Similar are Sheila Ann Germaney and Frank Elder.
Janis
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 09:06:32 PM by Maggi Young »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal