We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Reticulate Iris 2010  (Read 75044 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Reticulate Iris 2010
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2010, 05:02:25 PM »
Fred, Iris kopetdagensis is a Juno (Section Scopiris) and is a greenish yellow?? I'm sure Janis will be able to tell you more but it does look like an Iris reticulata form to me.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 10:26:31 AM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2010, 05:50:31 PM »
You're right david, I mean Iris kopetdagense , from Leonid Bondarenko, which should be a form or I. reticulata.
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/IrisOncocyclus

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2010, 06:06:45 PM »
My first reticulate is Iris kopetdgagensis. I don't think it's a valid name ( what do you think janis ? ) but a very dark form .

See my reply #25 in this topic.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2010, 06:12:24 PM »
Thank's Janis,
my friend Alzheimer and me forgot this reply  ;)
my plant is very similar to yours, but with leaves overtopping flowers as you can see.
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2010, 06:38:31 PM »
Fred, Iris kopetdagensis is a Juno (Section Skorpiris) and is a greenish yellow?? I'm sure Janis will be able to tell you more but it does look like an Iris reticulata form to me.

May be my entry #25 was not so clear.

Most of botanists regard genus Iris in very wide sense - including in it all types of bulbous irises. Russian botanists up to very last time separate from this complex as different genus juno irises - as Genus Juno, reticulata irises - as Genus Iridodyctium, and Spanish, English and Dutch irises - as Genus Xiphium.

There is Iris kopetdaghense in juno group named by Russian botanists as Juno kopetdaghense.

Another iris from reticulata group was named by Russian botanist Kurbanov as Iridodyctium kopetdaghense, so in wide sense it could be named Iris kopetdaghense. Such name isn't valid as it was earlier used for another Iris from Juno group. Really it was quite stupid to use this epithet for reticulata iris because I think that Kurbanov well know about same named juno iris. May be he wanted in such way to accent that Iridodyctiums are not irises, following in that his teacher G. Rodionenko.

But may be it isn't so important as this reticulata iris really most likely is only local variant of Iris reticulata.

Plant offered by Leonid under this name strictly looking can't be named as kopetdaghense although it is collected not far from locus classicus of reticulata "kopetdaghense". Typical Kurbanov's plant has leaves below flower at blooming time. In Leonids plant (identical by color to Kurbanov's plant) leaves overtop the flower at blooming time. Just the position of leaves was the main feature for describing this new Iris.

Is the position of leaves relating to flower sufficient for new taxa? I don't think so. Another feature used by Kurbanov is shorter seed pod (sorry, may be another feature, I not remember so well, but certainly it was related to seed pod)

Hope you understood my entry. It isn't easy for me to explain in English this something complicated and confusing situation. Sorry for possible spelling mistakes in "kopetdaghense" (I'm writing from home where haven't literature side by side as in my office).

Janis
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 06:41:14 PM by Janis Ruksans »

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2010, 12:01:33 AM »
Janis,
you are very clear, and I just thank you for this explanation !
I don't really think that leaves size or flower color is enough to create new species ( European orchids are a good 'bad' example  )
Could be a form or var. no more.

Anyway, nice flower  ;)
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2010, 10:54:17 AM »
Hope not to bore you with Iris pamphylica (yes, it is one of my favourites ;)) but I think it might be interesting for some.
Variation in the colour standards are rarly shown on the few pictures I have seen of this species, but existent in seedgrown plants. The plant on the right is the darkest one until now - the parents of this plants are paler - perhaps one day also a white one occurs.
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2010, 11:50:09 AM »
Impossible to bore with Iris pamphylica Hans - it is a wonderful, most elegant species.  The more pictures the better as far as I am concerned!  The colour variations are fascinating and it would certainly be intriguing if a white one occurred.  Do you know of white ones in the wild??
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2010, 01:18:23 PM »
Thanks Gail,
I have no information if there occure white ones in nature, but as they vary in colour it might be possible. The only picture I know of this species which seems to be taken in its habitat is in 'Bulbous Plants of Turkey & Iran' of Peter Sheasby -  it  shows one flower and a bit of soil in the background. All the other pictures i have seen are of cultivated plants, mainly of other forumists as Janis Ruksans, John Lonsdale, Bulbissime or Biodiversite. Maybe Janis will know it. ;)
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2010, 01:20:42 PM »
Gorgeous plants Hans !!
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2010, 01:46:10 PM »
Fantastic Hans. You keep posting them, we'll keep drooling ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
Janis, you are an excellent teacher.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2010, 02:40:29 PM »
I agree with Gail !
No boring with this species  :o
If, one day, I could get a flower at home, I think I'll fill the memory card with pictures  ;D
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2010, 07:14:14 PM »
Hope not to bore you with Iris pamphylica (yes, it is one of my favourites ;)) but I think it might be interesting for some.
Variation in the colour standards are rarly shown on the few pictures I have seen of this species, but existent in seedgrown plants. The plant on the right is the darkest one until now - the parents of this plants are paler - perhaps one day also a white one occurs.

Your plants are excellent. I never had so good and variation was very minor but at some show in UK I saw quite great variability in excellent pot. Sorry, not remember exhibitors name, it was several years ago. At present I have only one or two pots and minus 24 C outside. Would like to be at your place Hans now, but not in summer spells.
Janis

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2010, 07:35:56 PM »
First I. reticulata for me but I think it is wrong. The web site it came from shows a much paler flower.

? I. reticulata Lovely Lisa
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal