We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Reticulate Iris 2010  (Read 75045 times)

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
Re: Reticulate Iris 2010
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2010, 11:34:50 AM »
Thanks Oron-  I thought with all the gems you grow you should be inured to these type of pictures 8) ;)
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Miriam

• Artistically inclined agronomist
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2010, 02:35:07 PM »
Very beautiful species and easily germinated  ;) :D
Rehovot, Israel

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2010, 04:53:26 AM »
Hans , what a superb patch of I. pamphylica in flower - but I must not faint like Oron does ,I might not wake up again .Lucky you - you are blessed with almost perfect climate and growing conditions to succeed in growing and flowering some of the most difficult plants that we are interested in .

I first saw I . pamphylica in bloom in 1969 .I imported a few bulbs of I . persica from Holland that were collected in Turkey - but ofcourse a look at the bulbs told me that they were not Juno Irises but belonged to the Reticulatas .and in flower I recognized them to be a new species that I had not grown before . - but they are no longer alive .

Otto.
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

arillady

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2010, 07:57:04 AM »
Hans do you think I. pamphylica benefits by the shade to it roots by the groundcover in your pix. By the way what is it??
Pat
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2010, 11:22:19 PM »
Thanks Otto,
I did not know it was so early introduced in cultivation.
Knowing it is a tricky species so I am very glad it is doing fine here and do my best to keep and propagate it.

Pat - In my experience this species prefers (here) a little protection from to much sun/hot conditions and grows best in the shadow of larger stones or gras (Stipa gigantea) - the few plants which have more sun also flower regulary but have not increased - a bit strange as I did not notice they go dormant earlier.
The plant next to the Iris is one of the 40 endemic Limonium species growing on the Balearic Islands
10a  -  140nn

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2010, 11:44:53 AM »
Ian

In the latest Bulb Log you showed your reticulate Iris seed germinating.  They did not germinate last year - we discussed - and I am happy to say that virtually every pot has some germination.  Now we must be patient for the next 4? years.  :)
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2010, 07:23:49 PM »
Arthur, Iris pamphylica  first flowered here 4-5 years after sowing, of Iris vartanii I expect flowers next year (four years after sowing) - hope the other species are a bit faster.
10a  -  140nn

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2010, 07:51:51 AM »
Hans do you think I. pamphylica benefits by the shade to it roots by the groundcover in your pix. By the way what is it??
Pat
In wild I saw it only inside shrubs, not on open places but may be it is due a lot of sheeps in those places, although I. stenophylla allisonii growing in same place was only on open spots between shrubs.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2010, 12:00:39 PM »
My first Iris reticulata from the garden this year about a week later than last year. Iris reticulata 'J S Dijt'

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2010, 12:48:12 PM »
Some of mine are barely showing a tip at the moment David - more patience needed !
Looks like J.S. Dijt has done quite well for you, I see more buds emerging   :D - I remember you were not happy about your retics last spring.
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Hristo

« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2010, 03:38:40 PM »
Ditto ( ish ), still under the snow here! :'(
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2010, 04:52:59 PM »
Beautiful plant, David!

Janis, do you have any picture of I. pamphylica in its habitat?
10a  -  140nn

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2010, 07:33:58 PM »
Some of mine are barely showing a tip at the moment David - more patience needed !
Looks like J.S. Dijt has done quite well for you, I see more buds emerging   :D - I remember you were not happy about your retics last spring.

No Luc, I wasn't really happy with any of the garden Iris retics last year apart from perhaps "Katharine Hodgkin". Flowering was a bit sparse and I blamed the wet summer in 2008 but in 2009 they had it every bit as wet, and I never did get round to making some covers for my bulb beds. We'll see how they do this year which will be their third growing year and time perhaps to dig them up when they go dormant and replenish the soil. Any I do dig I shall probably put in pots and start with some fresh stock for the garden. Rob Potterton has a very good selection in his List and they are not expensive.

Thank you Hans.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

arillady

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2010, 10:08:22 PM »
Thanks Hans and Janis letting us know about the associated plants and growing conditions. That is a reason why I really like to see natural growing conditions and knowing which other plants grow nearby.
David what lovely photos. A group that I need to think more about growing.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2010, 01:28:07 PM »
My first reticulate is Iris kopetdgagensis. I don't think it's a valid name ( what do you think janis ? ) but a very dark form .

Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/IrisOncocyclus

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal