We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Reticulate Iris 2010  (Read 74840 times)

Hristo

Reticulate Iris 2010
« on: January 15, 2010, 01:33:59 PM »
An unexpected early showing of a reticulate iris. This is one that was disturbed by voles several years ago ( blackbirds also chucked labels around that year too! ) didn't flower last year and is making an appearance this year. Compared it to the montage from last year, not on there as one would expect. I wondered if it might be 'Lake Sewan' which came to BG with me, Open to any suggestions!

P.s.. colour in the second image taken with Fuji camera is closer to actual colour
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 01:37:56 PM by Hristo »
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

udo

• Dirk Schnabel
Re: Reticulate Iris 2010
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 04:40:30 PM »
Hello Hristo,

your Iris looks like a Iris histrioides var.sophenensis.
Lichtenstein/Sachsen, Germany
www.steingartenverein.de

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 06:22:51 PM »
Hello Hristo,

your Iris looks like a Iris histrioides var.sophenensis.

I think the same.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Hristo

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 10:10:10 PM »
Udo, Janis, thanks for that ID, it crossed my mind but I have actually/officially never purchased histrioides var. sophensis.
I guess this was purchased under another name, I suspect 'Lake Sewan'.
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 10:44:50 AM »
Hristo ,
   I too have grown your Iris as I histrioides v. sophenensis for almost 40 years ,

Otto.
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Hristo

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 02:48:10 PM »
Thanks Otto,
I shall rest easy with the burden of experience pointing towards histrioides var. sophensis, I guess I've just got to buy 'Lake Sewan' now! :D

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 07:33:57 AM »
Thanks Otto,
I shall rest easy with the burden of experience pointing towards histrioides var. sophensis, I guess I've just got to buy 'Lake Sewan' now! :D
Now if you can hold of a diploid (fertile) form of Iris danfordiae you can re-create some of McMurtrie's hybrids! ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Hristo

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 08:14:43 AM »
Fermi, we bought the fertile form from Janis last year so hopes are high!!! I shall report back in, a couple of decades??  :D

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 08:09:16 AM »
After a few days of stormy weather in the area new flowers of Iris histrio have started to open yesterday afternoon.
This beauty grows in mountains above 900m in North Israel, Lebanon and all the way to Turkey.
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 11:23:05 AM »
Oron , your I. histrio is a lovely pale blue  - the one I grow in my garden is darker and it originally came from Lebanon  . I find it is one of the easiest of the Reticulatas to grow in the garden .
       Otto.
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Hristo

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 11:39:53 AM »
Beautifully marked histrio, is there much variation in colour / markings within this population Oron?

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 03:45:39 PM »
Can anyone help with an ID? I bought this as small bulbs of I. pamphylica a few years ago. Now it's finally flowered I am rather disappointed to find out that it's somethng else - but what?

Any help appreciated!

Cheers,

Alex

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 04:38:39 PM »
 :( Probably one of the cheap reticulata clones - not Purple Gem which lacks the  yellow on the fall.  Pauline/Violet Beauty perhaps?

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 04:40:01 PM »
Can anyone help with an ID? I bought this as small bulbs of I. pamphylica a few years ago. Now it's finally flowered I am rather disappointed to find out that it's somethng else - but what?  

It looks like "J S Dijt" to me

There's a super composite picture made by Chris (Hristo) of many of the reticulata types, look at message #318 on this page

http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=2862.318

link edited to bring up message #318 (thanks Tony)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 05:39:43 PM by Diane Clement »
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 05:09:40 PM »
It looks like "J S Dijt" to me
There's a super composite picture made by Chris (Hristo) of many of the reticulata types, look at message #318 on this page
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=2862.315
Thats a very useful pic although Pauline looks different elsewhere on the web.  I have grown something under the JS digt name which had much less rounded falls.
Reply 154 in the same thread appears to show an identical plant to yours Alex.  Fred has it as I reticlata form from Kopet Dag.  That at least would give it a better pedigree  ;)
PS Diane - the link came up with the wrong page but the right thread - I display them 'newest first perhaps you have them the other way round?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal