We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Fertilizing Hepatica  (Read 6149 times)

Guff

• USA New York
Fertilizing Hepatica
« on: August 24, 2022, 11:03:51 PM »
When I was looking for information about growing Hepatica from seed, I found a site that says you need to use two different fertilizer routines throughout the growing season to get them growing as fast as possible. What I'm wondering is what does 2000 fold mean? Does that mean diluted x2000?

I then went looking for fertilizer with those numbers, Question is does it have to be organic, or can it be chemicals? These are some that I found, and some I would have to use half-third strength?

« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 11:20:04 PM by Guff »

Jeffnz

Re: Fertilizing Hepatica
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 01:10:48 AM »
i have not come across that dilution description before for liquid fertilizer use  but it probably means a 1 in 2000 dilution of a concentrated stock solution.
However this will give a very dilute concentration of NPK, 

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 08:41:49 PM »
So one Teaspoon of fertilizer, would be x 2000 Teaspoons of water, which is about 2.6 gallons

The organic is probably the best way to go.

Chemicals
FoxFarm $10
Ho Yoku $13

Organic
Seabird Guano $21
Seaweed Extract $20

Jeffnz

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 09:46:19 PM »
I think that is correct, just a strange way of expressing dilution rate.

Jeffnz

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2022, 10:39:55 PM »
Forgot to add that the original document that you haver does not say anything about what fertilizer product to dilute, if this is the case then the final NPK values after dilution will vary with the concentrate NPK concentrations.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2022, 07:13:16 PM »
Found this organic 0-4-3, Directions are 1 Tablespoon per gallon.
1 Tablespoon x2000 Tablespoons water is 7.8125 gallons.   
I'm thinking 1/4 Tablespoon x 1 1/2 gallon of water or two gallons of water and call it a day............

Jeffnz

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2022, 10:03:17 PM »
For balanced green growth you will need to include N in the mix.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2022, 10:20:02 PM »
The site says two different fertilizer routines throughout the growing season to get them growing as fast as possible.

No nitrogen for Fall fertilizing. Goal is to feed the roots as the seeds germinate in October through Spring.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2022, 11:03:03 PM »
Jeff you know I like to grow things as fast as possible. Remember my 1 year to flower Hellebore and 6 months to flower cyclamen threads? I was going to try Hepatica under lights, but I have other projects going. Maybe sometime when I have extra Hepatica seeds I will try indoors and see what happens.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2022, 09:57:37 PM »
Fertilizer arrived. Ful-power is suppose to help seeds germinate and also help with nutrients uptake.

Instructions for Ful-Power vary depending on what your using it for. 1-2 Tablespoons per gallon of water
Roots HPK is 1 Tablespoon per gallon of water.

Fertilized my flowering sized plants, today. I went with 1 Tablespoon of each into two gallons of water. Also watered in the seedlings that had germinated this past Spring.

I may up the Roots HPK to 1 Tablespoons per gallon after a couple weeks. Plan on fertilizing them once a week, until the end of October.

End of September, I will start watering in the seed bed with x2000 dilute mix of the Roots HPK and Ful-Power.

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2022, 05:32:35 PM »
Remember my 1 year to flower Hellebore and 6 months to flower cyclamen threads?

I searched for these and couldn't find them.  When did you post them?
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2022, 08:31:08 PM »
Thank you, Maggi.

Guff had just one seedling flower in one year.  The other seedlings didn't.

I wonder if Guff has continued to have success with frequent fertilizing, and whether others have tried and succeeded.

Meantime, my current seedlings will now get regular fertilizer.

Diane
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 10:27:51 PM by Diane Whitehead »
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2022, 09:54:56 PM »
Diane

I had threads on another garden site, which has been gone for a few years now..... I did updates every couple of weeks, from start to flower.

I only did the one year to flower Hellebore once, because I wanted to get an Aglaia looking plant. Seed was from Elizabeth Town Hellebores.

As far as cyclamen, purpurascens is the fastest to flower, since they don't go dormant. One year I started the seeds as soon as they were ripe (July-August), and they flowered in February, six months from sowing.

I also had a thread on the Dark Purple hederifolium and I can't remember , but thinking I had flowers in a year or less from sowing.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2022, 10:13:52 PM »
About fertilizing hellebore, I used to spray the leaves with half strength fertilizer mix every 4-5 days, plus the normal feeding.

My one year to flower hellebore, just to add was grown under lights(lights were on 24/7} in my cool basement from germination until flower. The same with the cyclamen.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 10:33:25 PM by Guff »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal