We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus March 2009  (Read 62196 times)

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
Galanthus March 2009
« on: March 01, 2009, 07:43:37 AM »
I got some nice pollen from Phil Cornish's collection today. Anyone want to see photos?   ;D

Yes please Martin.  Without 'the driver' I didn't get to Phil's this year so would love to see some photos.

Regards

John
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Galanthus March 2009
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 09:09:38 AM »
I got some nice pollen from Phil Cornish's collection today. Anyone want to see photos?   ;D

Yes please Martin.  Without 'the driver' I didn't get to Phil's this year so would love to see some photos.

Regards

John

Just to make it clear, I think most of us would prefer photos of the collection rather than photos of the pollen.
Almost in Scotland.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 11:15:11 AM »

Regards

John

Just to make it clear, I think most of us would prefer photos of the collection rather than photos of the pollen.

That'll teach me not to joke around so much! My little jest has backfired on me.   :-[   I was of course talking about the pollen. Now I feel bad that I didn't have time (it was a very brief visit as I was rushed and Phil had to be somewhere) to take the camera with me. Mind you, like my snowdrops, Phil's were quickly going over in this amazing spell of warm weather so there wouldn't have been much to photograph anyway - as indeed there isn't in my garden now. But, my conscience now pricked, I'll out tae the garden today armed not just wi' a pollen brush with also wi' a camera to see if anything interesting is still snappable.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 02:05:01 PM »
John,

"A dark corner" sounds just about right; in much the same way as one would ask if someone can sing "Far Away",

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 05:04:28 PM »
Hi Rob

When you use the word "allways" in your posts.  Can I ask how long your plants have always displayed these characteristics.  I just worry about this information being written here 'forever more on the world wide web' - as I know that some plants take a few years to settle down to their proper behaviour.

I wonder, have you have been growing these plants for more than 2 years? 

Hope this isn't too nosey of me.   :)  :-[

Many thanks

John
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 05:56:25 PM »
John I'm lost with your photos from Robin Halls. Are you saying the middle photo is Ruby Baker or Cicely Hall?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 06:00:32 PM »
John I'm lost with your photos from Robin Halls. Are you saying the middle photo is Ruby Baker or Cicely Hall?
He states it is 'Ruby Baker'. I also agree with John, 2 years isn't long enough to grow a plant all ways; only some ways. ::)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 06:29:50 PM »

As I read John's post, he's saying that the middle pic is Ruby Baker, the last pic is lutescens, and he has a pic of Cicely Hall but hasn't located it  so can't post it yet.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 06:47:36 PM »
well john i say 'allways' when talking about forge double as the monograph states this! forge double never produces mature phase flowers, allways immature phase, or in the words of the monograph 'mature phase flowers have never been seen'
as for straffan its 'allways' a good doer, becuase it allways produces at least one scape, but usualy 2, a hardy allround good snowdrop.

all pictures i show are of plants i have been growing for at least 2 seasons, alot of my stuff that i obtain 'in the green' is too poor to take photos of, i wait until they are settled with me, then take photos.
no pont in showing something thats not been growing with me is there?

does that explain it for you john?

Yes.

Thanks Rob.

John
John

Robin Callens

• Green Mile Nursery
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 07:02:49 PM »
a green flowered G. nivalis I found in our garden two years ago. One flower then, nine now...

« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 07:19:13 PM by Maggi Young »
Robin Callens, Waregem, Belgium, zone 8

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 07:20:10 PM »
Robin that is a stunner 8)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 07:36:37 PM »
Gosh.  :o

Robin that is stunning.

(and from 1 flower to 9 flowers in two years - hopefully that means it will be a strong growing one  8))

Cheers

John
John

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 07:37:16 PM »
Robin,

Brilliant flower.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 07:44:14 PM »
A fantastic green snowdrop Robin to make everyone green with envy. 8) Have you thought of registering it and giving it a name? Green and vigorous! Gosh! Much better than my 'Greenish' which has produced only leaves this year.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 08:28:49 PM »
a green flowered G. nivalis I found in our garden two years ago. One flower then, nine now...

Robin  - That one is phenomenol!  And better still it is a nivalis.  Congratulations.  If you had money in the stock market I think you may very well make up your losses with this one. Maybe you should call it Green Backs  ;)

We saw Rosemary Burnham and Mary Biddulph in John Grimshaw's garden growing almost side by side.  Mary was very intense green compared to Rosemary, yet in a garden the day before we saw almost the reverse. Rosemary was very pale at Helen Dillon's in Dublin. Neither compare with your dark beauty.

There is actually a snowdrop against the house here showing colour.

johnw
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 08:31:27 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal