We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus in February 2018  (Read 33213 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Galanthus in February 2018
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2018, 05:26:16 PM »
Snowdrops with eyes crop up in all sorts of crosses....

But I'm still waiting for a snowdrop where the 'face' with eyes is on the outer petals and so clearly visible at all times.  Perhaps you would like to take a stab at breeding that one, Anne? 
Almost in Scotland.

Tim Harberd

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2018, 05:51:44 PM »
I've not started a special thread about it this year... but I'm still on the look out for truly large drops.

http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=14967.0

Fred's Giant received a few favourable mentions in years past, so I sourced it last year from a couple of suppliers.

One of them was the most miserable specimen I have ever received! That's one list I never need to read again!!

Here is a first flower on the other. The petals are only 33mm long, tho' it is nice & tall at 27cms. Hopefully it will excel next year.

Tim DH

zephirine

• zeph's garden blog
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2018, 08:02:38 PM »
But I'm still waiting for a snowdrop where the 'face' with eyes is on the outer petals and so clearly visible at all times.  Perhaps you would like to take a stab at breeding that one, Anne?
In the meantime, Alan, you might be content with 'Green Eyes', maybe, since the 2 eyes remain visible even when the drop is closed. I find it gives it a kind of ghostly look... ;o)
http://www.gapphotos.com/images/LargeWebPreview/0514/0514248.jpg
Between Lyon and Grenoble/France -1500 ft above sea level - USDA zone 7B

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2018, 08:06:51 PM »
I'm trying!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2018, 08:42:45 PM »
In the meantime, Alan, you might be content with 'Green Eyes', maybe, since the 2 eyes remain visible even when the drop is closed. I find it gives it a kind of ghostly look... ;o)

I would be very content with' Green Eyes'; I was admiring it on several of the sales tables last Saturday.  But I had bought a few snowdrops already so in the end I decided to leave that one for another time.
Almost in Scotland.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2018, 08:44:10 PM »
I'm trying!

That's not far off, is it Anne.  Not quite sure what to make of that facial expression.
Almost in Scotland.

zephirine

• zeph's garden blog
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2018, 07:27:41 AM »
That's not far off, is it Anne.  Not quite sure what to make of that facial expression.
Frankensteinish?  :P
Between Lyon and Grenoble/France -1500 ft above sea level - USDA zone 7B

Harald-Alex.

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2018, 03:37:27 PM »
Today I recieved a fine snowdrop - pot with Galanthus plicathus "from Yalta 1980".
A very clear flower and a healthy stronggrowing plant! Thank You, dear visitor!
"Im Innersten... pulst das Bedürfnis nach Mitfreude anderer" Karl Foerster 1969

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2018, 08:04:31 PM »
Galanthus artjuschenkoae (syn. Galanthus transcaucasicus).

603179-0

Galanthus
'One Drop or Two' (only one!)

603183-2
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 07:44:09 PM by johnralphcarpenter »
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Mariette

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2018, 09:04:03 PM »
Certainly I´d be content with ´Green Eyes´, as this selection features two of my favourite interests: snowdrops with "eyes" and snowdrops with green leaves.  Indeed the eyes are very special, and the elegant shape of the flowers make it all the more desirable!

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2018, 10:37:55 PM »
Quite a long time ago now I found a snowdrop with green leaves; it was a nivalis so they weren't supposed to be that colour.  This has given me a particular interest in snowdrops with unusual green leaves - and I like snowdrops with eyes too.  So we like alike, Mariette.
Almost in Scotland.

SusanH

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2018, 03:44:44 PM »
Hi - can anyone help me regarding a Galanthus I was given as an extra ebay purchase last year? The seller claims it is named “Holbear” but I am unable to find this in any book or as a Google search.
Cheers. Susan H 

Roma

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2018, 04:07:09 PM »
I was very pleased to see this clump of Galanthus 'Fred's Giant'.  There were three clumps by the side of the track leading into the wood beside the house.  The bulbs were well down because my husband kept dumping grass mowings on them.  When I knew the wood was going to be thinned I managed to dig up one clump and replant them.  The soil on that side was moved when the contractor widened the track so thought the other two clumps were lost.  The third one may yet reappear.603249-0
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Shauney

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2018, 06:54:05 PM »
Three of of my trym seedlings flowering for the first time and all so very different! With the weather as miserable as it is I had to bring them in so I could see them open and my favourite is the one on the left. It has a solid green inner and the outers are very rounded with the entire edge rolled upwards.  The middle one is tiny with the inner petals at 6 mm and outers at just 7mm and after 5 hours of being inside refused to open so you dont get to see the inner mark ☹ On the right one...each of the outers had a different mark.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2018, 08:10:42 PM »
Three of of my trym seedlings flowering for the first time and all so very different! With the weather as miserable as it is I had to bring them in so I could see them open and my favourite is the one on the left. It has a solid green inner and the outers are very rounded with the entire edge rolled upwards.  The middle one is tiny with the inner petals at 6 mm and outers at just 7mm and after 5 hours of being inside refused to open so you dont get to see the inner mark ☹ On the right one...each of the outers had a different mark.
it's good fun growing your own seedlings isn't it? More people should try it - nothing like seeing that new flower for the first time!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal