We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: DRYAD NURSERY SUMMER LIST NEWS  (Read 770 times)

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
DRYAD NURSERY SUMMER LIST NEWS
« on: July 03, 2022, 04:58:39 PM »
Our summer list, as many of you have noticed, is a little late this year. This is because big things are happening here at Dryad, including some amazing things on the Snowdrop front (more later)!
Many of you are already aware that there is no team of workers here at the nursery – just a little elderly lady in her back garden (me) plus a very kind friend who is a marketing genius and gives me his time and expertise for free.
As such, the task of keeping all the nursery stock going, along with all the admin involved, is getting too much to manage - not to mention the upkeep of half an acre of garden.
A decision has had to be made to keep the business at a manageable level, and after much thought the main result is that we will be running down our stocks of current cultivars of non-Dryad snowdrops as they reach flowering size over the next 2 or 3 years.
Our own named varieties will continue to be available as long as we have stocks, but the existing varieties will not be propagated further. The Dryad Golds will become legacy varieties, along with the existing Myths and Legends group. This will give time and space to assessing and producing snowdrops from our other groups, including a ‘Snow’ series of true poculiforms, some very promising virescents, and soon (I hope) some of our yellow inverse poculiform range.
The intention is eventually to have only the daffodils and hepaticas here.
This year, we are passing our anemone collection over to our young friends Ben and Laura, starting their new nursery business at Cliff Bank Nursery, so there are no anemones in the list. As yet their business is in construction, so I will send you a link to their website when it is available, hopefully next year. We wish them every success.
Temporarily, there will be no crocuses/fritillarias either, to lessen the load this summer.
Important to note – we will no longer be offering snowdrops ‘in the green’ in January/February. They will only be available dormant in our summer lists. Only newly introduced cultivars will be offered through ebay at that time.
The result of all this, for you, is that there is a bumper crop of our Dryad speciality snowdrops available in our summer list this year – where possible our usual multi-nosed 'Clumps in Waiting'. Many will be the last of our stocks, and will not be available from us again. You will notice that they are available at very competitive prices in order to clear stock!
For the first time, we are offering our named seedlings – Dryad Golds, and Myths and Legends inverse poculiforms – in our main list. Also in the list will be our Estonian specialities – Spirit group and Bird doubles, and the popular German varieties.
There will be a limited number of only newly introduced varieties of snowdrops, and daffodils, on ebay over the next few weeks.
With all this, and over a hundred different miniature and species daffodils, I am expecting things to sell out extremely quickly so it will be even more important than usual to email in your orders as fast as you can once the list is released. 
AS LAST YEAR IT IS WITH GREAT REGRET THAT WE CAN ONLY POST SNOWDROPS TO ADDRESSES IN ENGLAND, SCOTLAND AND WALES.
DAFFODILS CAN ALSO BE SENT TO THE USA.
I hope the list will be ready in the week beginning 11 July, but as usual, I will send out a ‘heads-up’ email in advance.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: DRYAD NURSERY SUMMER LIST NEWS
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2022, 05:33:23 PM »
Sensible decisions, Anne - good luck to everyone involved in the changes such as Ben and Laura!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal