We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Viewing and Posting pictures on the Forum  (Read 44612 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Viewing and Posting pictures on the Forum
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2016, 11:06:12 AM »
re-posted from another thread ......
Thank you Maggi for the comprehensive explanation about the re-sized (or not) pictures. Having read it, I agree with everything you say about the record of knowledge SRGC Forum provides, all searchable, and that things like Facebook fall down in this respect. Some wonderful pictures there but precious little information and if one goes back next day or the day after , what one wants is gone forever so far as I can see.

Having said all that, I wonder if some people have trouble re-sizing because of their software? With my now deceased PC I had a photo processing programme called Photofiltre which was excellent and re-sizing a photo took all of 5 seconds so no trouble at all. But my recently new laptop has a more sophisticated programme (and I'm not at all sophisticated) to do the same things and for the life of me I haven't yet found how to re-size. It's well-known that I'm almost illiterate when it comes to computers so I keep hoping a light will shine upon me some time soon and I'll work it out. In the time since I started using the laptop I have only posted pictured taken previously and already re-sized.

Lesley,I use Microsoft paint to resize.I'm not very good with computers,but it's very easy,plus if you google it,a simple tutorial comes up.

Not sure if this is the tutorial Philip means ... http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A7x9UkxsIydX_iUACot3Bwx.;_ylu=X3oDMTByaDRqYzNhBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNgRjb2xvA2lyMgR2dGlkAw--/RV=2/RE=1462211565/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.reading.ac.uk%2fweb%2ffiles%2fwww_File_Library%2fA_Guide_to_Microsoft_Paint_%28XP%29.pdf/RK=0/RS=QBSl10blUxOmMJt6Lzt0F6sQ0Fo-

« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 11:15:29 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2016, 04:02:35 PM »
Lesley, bearing in mind what you have said about your own computer skills (and I'm sure you malign yourself!) you could do no better than download the SRGC re-sizing tool. This will sit on your desktop and all you will need to do is open the file(s) you keep your pictures in. Select the picture you want to resize and drag and drop it onto the re-sizing tool and in milliseconds it will have sent a re-sized picture of a size just ideal for Forum use back to the file you started with. It will have a new title that includes "SRGC" and a lot of hyphens but you can then choose to replace that by whatever title you want. I would tell you how to download the tool but I can't remember how, but a know a lady in Aberdeen who does.

All details of the  photo resizing tool here : http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=9993.0

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2016, 07:09:10 PM »

Problem with the srgc resizer. My Augustinii came out at the correct size but was 328 kb so my post bounced.  How do I sort this ?

I had to go in to Photoshop to effect a reduction in pixels.
Not sure, Tom - perhaps a general resize to reduce MB from the original?  Hard when so many cameras make such huge files these days.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2017, 02:24:40 PM »

There have been some problems for folks posting pictures from their i-pads or smart phones -  these are appearing either sideways or upside down  when loaded to the forum.

It 's a question of how the pix were first  saved I think.  Not sure, since I don't  use an i-pad or camera phone, so I consulted Ian about this.

He says  if the pix are flipped in the device  or as you resize them ( to make them display the right way up as you see them) then they will rotate when posted here, back to the original orientation.  If you don't flip them they'll be  correct here in the first place.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2018, 05:37:10 PM »
A reminder about posting photos
  the SRGC Forum has undergone some changes recently and if using the  (attachimg=1)  code ( " inline full-size image option" )  - with the square brackets (rather than the ones I've used to allow you to see without confusing the system with code) it is possible to attach  larger photo sizes which will be automatically resized to the page and open in the  text box.

These are  the square  brackets  [  ]

8) 8)

This screengrab shows what a post will look like when this method is  used to add photos in the text - using pretty much any device it seems, i-pad, smartphone, whatever!

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 02:22:01 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2018, 01:31:54 PM »
I've just tried  another  resizing method that I've known of but not tried  before .... emailing the image to oneself.  Just done this with a  file over  3.69 MB and  requested the  1024  x 628 option, clicked send  and  got a resized photo arrive,  just  138kb which loads perfectly.
Actually much quicker than using the  ACDSee  programme I would ordinarily use to resize and useful if you find your files are really too large to load easily.
Have asked Fred Admin to look into  question of  tweaking time-out limits in case that is a factor in the problem one or two are reporting.
Method described in previous post working for most I'm glad to say. 

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2020, 01:15:44 PM »
I would post some photos if  could, but apparently my files are always too big (sigh).

Oh dear, I do not  know  why  you  have  this problem. I do occasionally have  such a  hiccup but  by  and  large  the  system will post  photos  of  just  abut  any  size  without  "complaint". The  other  day I was  posting  pix from elsewhere  for  a  member  and  I posted  a  whole string  of  large  size  images  without  bother. Suddenly  the  system decided to "change  its  mind"  and baulked  at any  larger  than 200kb.  Irritating? Yes, but  I  used the  simple  resizing  element  I have  on my  ancient  ACDSee programme  and   then loaded the  pix as  usual.  It  really  didn't  take  very  long and  the  end  result  is  that the  photos are  there  in the  forum as  a  lasting  record.
I am far  from being  a  computer  whizz and  the  programme  I use  for  photo sizing  etc is, in computer  terms, almost  antediluvian, so no fancy knowledge  or  equipment  is  needed. 
As  previously  stated, it  seems  the  best  way to load  photos  is  using  the  attachimg route  = inline  full size  image
Of  course, there  will be internet  connection changes/interruptions from time  to time - depending  on the  service  in  a  given area or  time,  and  often these  are  so minimal   as  to  pass un-noticed  generally, but  they  do occur, I am reliably  informed, so I do hope that  people  will  not  be  deterred  and  will make  that extra  effort, should  it  be  needed, to support the  forum fully.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Pic is 6.84 MB - posted  without  resizing

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal