We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Club or just Moss?  (Read 785 times)

cohan

• forest gnome
Club or just Moss?
« on: March 11, 2021, 06:51:29 PM »
Recently photographed this plant in mesic mixed woods on the farm; at the time I just thought it was an extra long stemmed moss-- and maybe it is? the part of the stems sticking out of leaves/snow is probably 10-15cm at a guess-- I was not paying super close attention, since I didn't think at the time it was that unusual, but later wondering if it could be Lycopodiumish? I've never found any such things on the farm, before, though tons of mosses etc.
Thoughts?

682323-0

Tristan_He

Re: Club or just Moss?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 06:59:50 PM »
Hi Cohan, I'm not familiar with the Canadian bryophyte / pteridophyte flora, but that has a very clubmossish look to me.

Tristan

Tristan_He

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 07:08:07 PM »
Possibly Lycopodium annotinum? On the Alberta checklist.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 07:46:57 PM »
Possibly Lycopodium annotinum? On the Alberta checklist.

Thanks, Tristan-- I also thought-- after the fact-- that it was clubmossish! A botanist friend in B.C. has also confirmed Spinulum annotinum (Lycopodium annotinum) as you thought! Exciting for me, first find on the farm! Hopefully I can find it again- I know the area, but wasn't expecting to want to find the exact patch again..

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 08:28:57 PM »
Here's L. annotinum with strobili  in late summer (E Finland).
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 06:34:41 PM »
Here's L. annotinum with strobili  in late summer (E Finland).

Fun :) I was able to find the patch again, so I will have to watch it over the season, and I'll be watching for other occurrences, now that I now it is on the farm! I like that I can still find something new after so many years scouring the property!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal