We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus in February 2017  (Read 30540 times)

snowdropcollector

Re: Galanthus in February 2017
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2017, 05:25:23 PM »
Forgot to add the picture of Elwesii Dreispitzen. Not my taste of a snowdrop, but for those who like this types....

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Galanthus-elwesii-DREISPITZ-/192097185547?hash=item2cb9e26f0b:g:0TIAAOSw44BYl3hZ
Richard, Netherlands....building up my collection again

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2017, 04:45:28 PM »
two more greens -no names-
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2017, 04:52:39 PM »
This fabulous photo of  Galanthus nivalis at the base of a giant beech tree  is from Ian the Christie kind - I think it a perfect photo to show the beauty of these flowers.

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Cfred72

« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2017, 05:11:04 PM »
Very beautiful case for this Galanthus. And of course, Ian's eye to capture the beauty.  ;)
Frédéric Catoul, Amay en Hesbaye, partie francophone de la Belgique.

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2017, 05:18:14 PM »
This fabulous photo of  Galanthus nivalis at the base of a giant beech tree  is from Ian the Christie kind - I think it a perfect photo to show the beauty of these flowers.

(Attachment Link)

so we love both the powerful tree and the delicate snowdrop
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2017, 08:29:55 AM »
I was talking to Alan Street of Avon Bulbs yesterday.  I had the temerity to tell him off for mispronouncing Babraham (as in 'Babraham Scenteed', 'Babraham Dwarf') in a talk he gave.  Babraham is a place near Wandlebury Ring; it's a small village with a big institute http://www.babraham.ac.uk/ .  In the usual manner of place names, the pronunciation is not obvious from the spelling but emphasis is on the first syllable which is pronounced as in Bay whilst the second two 'a's get rather lost so  BAY-br'-h'm  is my best effort to render the name phonetically.

On a related theme, he reminded me that the correct spelling of his snowdrop 'Trympostor' is as I have written it, although the name is frequently misspelled.  Here it is on an old copy of Avon Bulbs' web site and  as described by the RHS

In 2010 JohnW had a snowdrop which he called 'Trym' impostor as it was supposed to be Trym but wasn't.  I coined the name 'Trympostor' for this snowdrop http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=4921.msg134506#msg134506.  When 'Avon Bulb's 'Trympostor' came along I was initially a bit miffed that they had (unwittingly) recycled my name http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=4921.msg134506#msg134506 .  But that is water that flowed under the bridge and down to the sea a long time ago - and the correct spelling is 'Trympostor' with a 'o'.         
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 08:35:24 AM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2017, 10:43:28 AM »
This is my double snowdrop called 'Cressida'

I'm really going to have to lift and divide this clump later.  The mark near the base of the inner petals is more usually more solid; this year it is split into 'eyes'. 
Almost in Scotland.

snowdropcollector

« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2017, 12:01:59 PM »
That is a great looking clump Alan, it is such a good grower !
Richard, Netherlands....building up my collection again

steve owen

« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2017, 12:23:03 PM »
Alan
Agreed that accuracy in nomenclature is important - do you (or anyone) know whether "Trymming" is correct or "Trimming"? Since it's a Trym derivative I would prefer the former.

BTW at Shaftesbury one well-known seller was selling "Marley" Raphael. I enquired whether it was a Ghostly snowdrop or just a ghastly spelling mistake. :(

I was talking to Hitch yesterday about all things "Nutt", so Richard Nutt, R D Nutt, Nutt's Early, Richard Nutt's Early, etc. Can someone authoritatively say whether there is more than snowdrop with Mr Nutt's name attached, and if so the exact correct names? A bit of accompanying detail about what type of snowdrop(s) it/they are would be most helpful.

Was there any resolution of the Kath Dryden issue a few days ago? I was rather hoping that that cat could be correctly labelled before it was allowed out of the bag or at least had not travelled far from the bag  (apologies if this translates badly for friends not in the UK). 8)
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2017, 03:00:36 PM »
Alan  - Your 'Cressida' clump is a delight.

john
John in coastal Nova Scotia

johnw

« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2017, 03:17:22 PM »
Alan re: Trym impostor

We unofficially call it tramp here, which seems so very very appropriate... :o

It may well be a named culitvar so nothing in stone.  Whatever it is it is very fertile.

john 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 03:20:31 PM by johnw »

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2017, 06:44:33 PM »

I was talking to Hitch yesterday about all things "Nutt", so Richard Nutt, R D Nutt, Nutt's Early, Richard Nutt's Early, etc. Can someone authoritatively say whether there is more than snowdrop with Mr Nutt's name attached, and if so the exact correct names? A bit of accompanying detail about what type of snowdrop(s) it/they are would be most helpful.

I have one that came to me as 'Richard Nutt's Green-leaved hybrid'. It doesn't exactly trip off the tongue.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

arilnut

« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2017, 07:03:06 PM »
Here are

G. Emerald Hughes  and
G. Theresa Stone
John  B.
Hopelessly hooked on Aril Iris

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2017, 12:56:20 PM »
Today's morning patrol, brightened up by clear skies ans sunshine:

Ecusson D'or which did not flower for me last year and seemed to have invested its energy in bulking up, judging by the forest of new shoots this year. It is very beautiful and deeply yellow. It originated in what was described as the 'Simon Savage variant, which is reputedly a deeper yellow. (2 pix )

I would have said that I am not a fan of doubles but I now find i have more than I thought. First up is:

Ailwyn showing its well shaped regularity, but this year it has acquired 'eyes', obtained from Angelsey Abbey.

Betty Hansell, a delightful drop, purchased unseen at Myddelton on the sole recommendation of the lovely Emma Thick, who praised it highly, and told me I should have it.The usual great advice, it is funky (Quelle surprise given the recommender :) ) and very distinctive. Delighted with it.

Rosie which is clumping well.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 03:32:42 PM by Maggi Young »

johnw

« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2017, 05:13:28 PM »
A mega blizzard struck around midnight, it may not abate until late tonight though.  Winds to 110k..  Upwards of 50cm of snow is possible, another on Wednesday.

Meanwhile G. rizehensis seedling f. is in flower in the greenhouse.

john
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 11:08:27 PM by johnw »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal