We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Introduction:2nd International Czech Rock Garden Conference - 2-5 May 2013  (Read 66068 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Hi "gentian" Frank - there is still time for you to apply for a permit to take back plants, I'm pretty sure. You apply in much the same way as you do for a Small Lots of Seed permit.

Jiri has already told us that the Czechs will have plans in place for plant inspections etc.....  so I see no reason why you cannot arrange to take back plants you  might buy.

And there are several Americans attending- they've said so elsewhere in this thread...   :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
It isn't even practical to join for the seed exchange because it costs $45 for a bank transfer.
Frank Cooper

Not sure  what you mean by  this? Not worth joining what? 
The SRGC can be joined  online via credit card  either via paypal or our other secure server and there is no  such charge for that.( Seed exchange is closed for this year, of course)

Frank Cooper

I thought it was too complicated to bring plants back to the US. I will re-read about plants.  I was wodering if anybody has brought plants back to the US in the last couple of years.  Many of the people I knew have died over the years and I don't know of hardly any rock gardeners within a 100 miles so unless I go to conventions I lose track of everybody.  The WI_IL rock garden chapter is too far away for a day trip here.

Frank Cooper

The Czech  club.  I belonged years ago but a transfer was $8 then, now $45.  I loved the seeds.  If only they could take credit cards or find another way to transfer funds.

Frank Cooper

Oh yea even the 12 or fewer plants that do not need a permit require a phytosanitary certificate from county or origin. 
I have no idea if I can do that. I will do a plant permit just in case that is possible.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
I thought it was too complicated to bring plants back to the US. I will re-read about plants.  I was wondering if anybody has brought plants back to the US in the last couple of years.  Many of the people I knew have died over the years and I don't know of hardly any rock gardeners within a 100 miles so unless I go to conventions I lose track of everybody.  The WI_IL rock garden chapter is too far away for a day trip here.

I'm sure there will be some who hae done so and hope they might read this and offer you advice. I do know that probably all of the Americans who attended the 2011 International Rock Garden Conference in Nottingham were all prepared and VERY keen  to take plants home with them  but they were prevented by the fact that the AGS had not arranged phyto testing etc so that was impossible. The Czechs are not likely to make that mistake!
Worth checking out  to get a plant import certificate before you start- it's free, I believe, for private persons. 

Frank Cooper

Are you saying that when they have an inspecor at the conventions like I have seen that what they do is issue phyto certificates?  Other then things I can't have like orchids I mostly just want things like Daphnes, sax's and gentians.  Even people with no permits could take 12 plants out if that is the case. 
I hope they still have sausage stands.

Jiri Papousek

• Alpine parrot
Hi Frank,
I am sure you will find some daphnes here and I will bring to Conference for Sales saxifrages from famous breeder Karel Lang.
As Maggi said, there will available phyto inspection in hotel at the end of Post Conference. There will be also available facility for plants preparation before journey.
Roztoky, elevation 175 m, West border of Czech capital Prague, by Vltava river

sippa

• Journal Access Group

Hi Gentian,

We are 3 people going to the Conference from New England.  We have gotten our import permits to bring in plants.  If you are thinking of getting a permit, act now as it takes some time for them to issue it.  Also ask for labels as they do not automatically include them.  You have to specify your port of entry for the labels.  Go on line and you will find the appropriate form, you will have to state what plants you are going to import, like alpines, saxifraga and so on.  I hope this helps.  Look forward to meet you there. 
Marianne gardening in Vermont, USA

Frank Cooper

I think I will have a problem since I don't see O'hare listed as a port of entry and my flight goes from London to Ohare. I think itis expensive to change a plane ticket.  I wonder if the 12 plants without a permit require you to go to a port of entry also.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 03:45:31 AM by gentian »

sippa

• Journal Access Group

Any airport should be fine for bringing in 12 plants with a phyto, the problem is that most airports do not have agricultural staff and you are in the hands of people who do not know plants.  But it should work.  Good luck.  I would get a permit and have them shipped.
Marianne gardening in Vermont, USA

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
I would get a permit and have them shipped.
I  agree,  get 'em shipped- Jiri has explained that there will be the facilities for this and the 'entry port ' can be any one suitable for you.

Frank Cooper

You are saying that I will be able to package it up and have it ready to ship in the hotel? Packaging supplies will be available?  And my seeds too?  I do know that it takes very little time to actually get to the US and most of the time is with APHIS.  So maybe it is not a good idea to get someting that is so sensitive that it can't spend a week in a box. Not a good idea to even get something that is sensitive to get thru customs. No Draba or Androsace I guess.   That mean I need to change or get another permit to get green stickers.  I would want to get some gentians but don't trust them to be in a box so that is what I would carry on.  I am aftraid that I would have something that falls into pieces when soil is washed apart and they would want to count each part as a seperate plant. 

Frank Cooper

It sounds like I am ready to go and buy a ridiculous number of plants.   ;D  Provided I get my permit in  time. ::)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 03:26:02 AM by gentian »

Jiri Papousek

• Alpine parrot
Conference web site has been updated - program http://www.czrgs.cz/conference-program.html, transport including plants http://www.czrgs.cz/conference-transport.html

If any question please drop e-mail to conference@czrgs.cz

So far Spring has delay here and we had to postpone Early Spring Show in Prague for one week.
Roztoky, elevation 175 m, West border of Czech capital Prague, by Vltava river

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal