We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Introduction:2nd International Czech Rock Garden Conference - 2-5 May 2013  (Read 66010 times)

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
Re: Introduction:2nd International Czech Rock Garden Conference - 2-5 May 2013
« Reply #150 on: November 29, 2012, 06:00:34 PM »
watch out for the dumplings  :-\

I found stand-up snack bars a more pleasant place to eat than sit-down places because
smoking was not allowed in the snack bars.  This was in 1999, and I hope no-smoking
places are more common now.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #151 on: November 29, 2012, 08:27:47 PM »
Thanks Susan, Maggi and Diane for the local information, very helpful to someone whose foreign (as distinct from UK and Irish) travel is confined to an AGS trip to Greece almost 20 years ago!

A great shame about the Show. I suppose we'll be on tour then. No chance of a quick detour to take in the Show Jiri?  :'( :'( :'(
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #152 on: November 29, 2012, 08:41:18 PM »
A great shame about the Show. I suppose we'll be on tour then. No chance of a quick detour to take in the Show Jiri?  :'( :'( :'(

Don't worry Lesley, you know these Guys are very thorough...... see the programme .....

http://czrgs.cz/conference-program.html   .......

Thursday May 9

gardens
    the May Show in Charles Square (Prague Rock Garden Club)
    individual tour of Prague and departure
    dinner
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Jiri Papousek

• Alpine parrot
« Reply #153 on: December 08, 2012, 07:35:57 PM »
As time is running so fast, I would like to remind that possibility to get Early fee will expire at the end of December. So don't hesitate to save money and register soon.  8) a All details are available http://www.czrgs.cz/conference-payment.html
Roztoky, elevation 175 m, West border of Czech capital Prague, by Vltava river

Susann

« Reply #154 on: January 11, 2013, 11:48:22 AM »
I guess, as I have finally become a member of the Forum ( sorry it took so long, Maggi!) I have to presentate myself as one of the Swedes going to the Conference.  I am really looking forward to meet you all, and especially you, Angie and Leslie, of course!
Olga, I hope your trick at the bank worked so you will soon tell us you have finally been able to pay!
There is a heavy snowstorm right now but after reading all the posts in this thread I have my head full of Czech friends, Calliathemums, Daphnes and the wonderful Czech sour cabbage. Please, Jiri, ask the hotels to prepare a lot of it, if possible even for breakfast!
The fastest way to reach your goal is to take one step at a time

angie

« Reply #155 on: January 11, 2013, 10:12:20 PM »
Susann looking forward to meeting you. May will soon be here and I can't wait. Its nice this time of year to have something to look forward to. I hate these cold and the dark days of January. Roll on spring time.
Sour cabbage, now I have never tasted this before. I hope they have nice chocolate over there  ::) ;D

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #156 on: January 12, 2013, 05:01:01 AM »
Hello Susann and a very warm welcome to the Forum, as a poster. I hope you'll keep it up and become one of the "regulars" here.

Like Angie, I'm looking forward to meeting you in the Czech Republic and I'm sure we'll all be good friends soon. I think this conference is going to be a lot of fun and I certainly expect to have a ball, as we say here.

The sour cabbage sounds interesting. I'm more used to BURNT cabbage :o and have wrecked a couple of saucepans achieving that! I use a frypan now with a tiny dab of butter, salt and pepper and just a tbsp of water, and stand over it, watching it as if it were my baby chick. :)

I have a lot on before the conference so it still seems a long way off.  A Study Weekend in early Feb, then house/garden/nursery moving, then maybe a short spell in hospital (not confirmed yet) and then leaving home on Anzac Day, 25th April and NZ the next day. I'm really looking forward to a break from all the stresses here.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 09:53:22 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Susann

« Reply #157 on: January 12, 2013, 02:24:58 PM »
Leslie and Angie; thank you for your nice answers! I think we are already friends? There will be so much to talk about. I have no idea what is possible to grow in NZ or Scotland, but I am sure I will know a lot more when leaving the Conference. "Sour cabbage"...Perhaps the correct English expression would have been "fermented cabbage". It really doesn´t matter what it is called.
If I am some time missing when a lecture begins, please check for me at the restaurant, I might have gotten lost in a heap of cabbage.

Good news is that yesterday Olga has finally been able to pay for the Conference! She has had problems with several banks not letting her do the transfer.

Temperature keeps falling indoor and I am dressed as for a Mount Everst climbing, it is now less than +10 ( less than +50 F) and I start to get worried about the precious plants in the small conservatory where it soon is at 0, and the indoor water-pipes. May it please be Monday soon and  with a solution for the broken boiler.
The fastest way to reach your goal is to take one step at a time

astragalus

« Reply #158 on: January 12, 2013, 03:51:38 PM »
Lesley et al, I would really love to be at the Conference and meet everyone, not to mention seeing great plants.  The only time I left my garden in May was for the Nottingham Conference, which was superb and I don't regret it.  But I spent the rest of the year playing "catch-up" and never quite did.  Hope you all have a wonderful time and will share special things you see via pictures on the Forum, please.  I agreed to open my garden on May 4th for the Garden Conservancy, which truly prevents any change of mind re: the Czech Conference.  I'm so sorry it means I won't have a chance to meet Jiri, and talk with him about our respective crevice gardens.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #159 on: January 12, 2013, 10:01:04 PM »
Anne, I'm so sorry you won't be there, I was sure you would be, but I fully understand the problems. Once things get away, it's almost impossible to catch up properly and of course you can't cancel a promised garden open day. But I'll certainly be thinking of you often, with every crevice we see and I know there will be very many.

I'm delighted Olga has her payment transfers sorted as I want so much to meet her, a most generous lady who has sent me beautiful seed. I think she is also herself, beautiful and will enhance any group photos we will all take. :)

Susann, such interesting information you have sent me and now I think I need an extra week at least, in Prague. You are right, no plants can be brought home to NZ but the looking will be a great treat, so many things we don't have here. Thank goodness for our cameras. :D

I'll have to fight off Angie's Chocolate. I'll certainly try Susann's cabbage (like sauerkraut?) but for now I'm gorging on cherries and other stone fruit hoping to lose another kilo or two before I leave NZ. ;D ::)

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #160 on: January 12, 2013, 10:19:30 PM »
One thing I have done on various travels (and at flower shows with permission of
exhibitors) is to collect pollen which I then use at home on my flowers.  It's a way
of getting some new characteristics and one already knows that the species is one
that is allowed.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

sippa

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #161 on: January 12, 2013, 10:35:31 PM »

Hi everyone,
Roland and I have just booked our airtickets with my friend Lisa whom I talked into coming to the conference.  We had such a good time at the conference 5 years ago.  I seem to remember there were also a lot of dumplings but I look forward to the cabbage.  I look forward to meet you all in May.  The only thing remaining now is to get my import permit for plants.
Marianne gardening in Vermont, USA

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #162 on: January 12, 2013, 10:46:08 PM »
I can't say I  am excited about the prospect of sour cabbage  :-\ - but the thought of meeting up with so many forumists is another matter altogether- that is really something to look forward to. :D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #163 on: January 13, 2013, 09:34:29 AM »
Sour cabbage doesn't appeal much  ::) so I'll be drinking Czech lager  :D while you eat your cabbage Susann...
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #164 on: January 13, 2013, 10:40:27 AM »
Susann,
I am glad you joined the forum!

Yes I hope transfer is OK. I also hope so much to meet everybody I know from SRGC forum. So many people who gave me advises, information and swap with me!

Lesley,  :)
Please let me know if you need any plants or seeds.

Prague is a beautiful city! I can't be impartial because I live it and Czechs very much. But it's really a city of many miscellaneous historical and cultural places. You can walk in the old center for several days. It's chip and friendly. Cabbage, lager, pork leg and strudel are waiting for us.  :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 06:14:10 AM by Olga Bondareva »
Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal