We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Introduction:2nd International Czech Rock Garden Conference - 2-5 May 2013  (Read 66031 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Introduction:2nd International Czech Rock Garden Conference - 2-5 May 2013
« Reply #135 on: November 25, 2012, 10:57:05 PM »
So long as these crevice gardens and the flesh, especially mine, don't actually meet Angie. Recent experience has taught me that falling onto hard places is a VERY PAINFUL EXPERIeNCE!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

angie

« Reply #136 on: November 26, 2012, 03:26:23 PM »
So long as these crevice gardens and the flesh, especially mine, don't actually meet Angie. Recent experience has taught me that falling onto hard places is a VERY PAINFUL EXPERIeNCE!

Lesley hopefully no falling. Not only would we hurt ourselves but can you imagine the damage we would do to the poor plants  ;D will have to be on our best behaviour. I will have to make sure I pack my flat shoes.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

sippa

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #137 on: November 26, 2012, 05:01:16 PM »

Hi Jiri,

I m so glad that you are organizing some type of packing facility and also for shipping plants.  That is probably the only way we can bring back plants.  I am working on getting an import permit for live plant material now.  Look forward to see you all.

Marianne,
Fairlee, Vermont
Marianne gardening in Vermont, USA

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #138 on: November 26, 2012, 05:23:05 PM »
It would be helpful to know which plants might be available for sale,
as Canadians need to list them on the application for a permit.

Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #139 on: November 26, 2012, 05:33:09 PM »
Crumbs Diane, that could be complicated- I think that list would be very long indeed and the sellers might not know for sure what they might have available at this distance in time -  I suspect a good range of plants, as evidenced by those seen in the photos of gardens from the last event-  a scan through those may give you a working list to start with.

I know some of the forumists who attended the last event came home with DOZENS and DOZENS of plants......   ::)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #140 on: November 27, 2012, 12:16:12 AM »
I wouldn't need the cultivar names.  Something all-encompassing like "Saxifraga hybrids"
will be OK.
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #141 on: November 27, 2012, 03:02:33 AM »
Well you could start with Saxifraga species, Primula spp, Dianthus, Campanula etc etc etc..... In those heady far-off days when we could, we were able to get a permit for about a dozen un-named plants, i.e. the plants had to be named of course but we could include things which we didn't KNOW would be available and so long as they weren't prohibited, and in those days very few were, they could come in. These were in addition to the specified plants for which we had applied for a permit.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Jiri Papousek

• Alpine parrot
« Reply #142 on: November 27, 2012, 03:11:37 PM »
Not always you need just big stones for crevices, even with small pieces, you can still create right environment.
Roztoky, elevation 175 m, West border of Czech capital Prague, by Vltava river

Leiomerus

• on the rocks ....
    • Rots en plant
« Reply #143 on: November 28, 2012, 04:38:20 PM »
Hmm, nice idea, there is even some parking space left, for the visitors. :D
Greetings from Leiomerus from Belgium - In the world of the abnormals, the normals are abnormal, which is normal.

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #144 on: November 28, 2012, 05:29:18 PM »
Hi Diane,
Last conference the dwarf Daphnes were very popular, tons of Sax hybs for sale and as Lesley says loads of classic alpines. As well as sellers at the conference there are plenty of plants to buy at the show itself. Have a look at last conference pictures. The show in Prague is outside and has a sales area which is supplied by members. Worth going a day early to Prague like we did before the conference as I hear it got very busy on the official trips. We stayed just of the main square in the old town in a small hotel, we walked to the show but I have to admit we forgot to take directions before we went and were lucky we found it. If you want I can try and find the name of the hotel, relativly cheap and ideal for site seeing. Taxi's available at the airport to take you into town.
Susan
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #145 on: November 28, 2012, 10:13:14 PM »
Susan, could you put this information here on the Forum please, or else send it by PM to those who want it? I'll have 4 days in Prague before the Conference in Tabor and info about the show and good (cheap) accomodation is just what I need. I haven't booked anything yet for that time so anything of horticultural/musical/historical interest would be worth learning about. :)

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #146 on: November 29, 2012, 12:09:02 AM »
It took a bit of searching to find the reports about the first conference in 2007.

They are in SRGC Shows and Events » Events page 16
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 10:50:24 PM by Maggi Young »

Jiri Papousek

• Alpine parrot
« Reply #147 on: November 29, 2012, 08:04:09 AM »
Next year Prague Show will start later then other years on 7th of May. Unfortunately it was not known when we planned dates for Conference. So no  possibility to go there before , but we plan Sale also in Conference venue, those who would need saxifrages, I can get a list from Karel Lang and he would prepare plants in advance.
Roztoky, elevation 175 m, West border of Czech capital Prague, by Vltava river

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #148 on: November 29, 2012, 09:22:59 AM »
Hi,
I managed to find the hotel we stayed at http://www.ustarepani.cz/en/ It is within crawling distance of the amazing clock and main square. We needed that as Mum was due for her hip operation and Julia had a bad back! Don't take offence at the english translation for the hotel ;D There are mixed reviews on trip advisor but the location is what makes it. We had 2 rooms joined together (family I think) ideal for us.
There is loads to see all within walking distance, we really could have done with a few more days, keep meaning to go for a long weekend.
There are Botanic Gardens in Prague, we didn't make them as we were on our way when we found the show. I have met the young gardener at another conference and he seemed well informed.
If you are short on cash, food is much cheaper outwith the old town but watch out for the dumplings  :-\
Hope this helps and wish I was coming
Susan
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #149 on: November 29, 2012, 10:06:36 AM »
It took a bit of searching to find the reports about the first conference in 2007.

They are in SRGC Shows and Events » Events page 16

Yes ,the forum already has many pages of reports about that wonderful event in 2007 , I listed the relevant pages on page one of this thread to help introduce the Conference:

From my first pleas for photos for those of us who could not attend.........
 http://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=471.0

Czech Conference  May 2007 - The show
http://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=501.0

The tours:

http://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=498.0
http://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=500.0
http://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=504.0
http://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=505.0

Pages and pages about the wonderful conference, the great show of plants, the many tours to fantastic gardens.... all the great people they met... it is all there!

« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 10:21:21 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal