We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Introduction:2nd International Czech Rock Garden Conference - 2-5 May 2013  (Read 66004 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Introduction:2nd International Czech Rock Garden Conference - 2-5 May 2013
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2012, 11:11:32 PM »
I know there's a long way to go yet before all the Conference planning is in place but I'm finding it very frustrating that so far there is not a hint - not that I've found anyway - of how much the Conference, accomodation, tours and everything else, will cost. Here I am all set to make the decision, but can't until I know what the costs will be, or at least something pretty near. As said elsewhere. "Lack of information leads to lack of interest."

Whatever else is involved, there certainly won't be any cheap flights from this end of the world. :'(
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Jiri Papousek

• Alpine parrot
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2012, 04:19:50 PM »
Dear all, I am really pleased to see more new names. Sorry for delay, I just return from skiing holidays. I put on my distribution list Angela, Liz, Lesley, ChrisB, John W, Jozef and Luc. As promised I will keep all informed immediately once more details will be available. I believe that Liz will see some progress made since 1972, at least in rocky gardening :). Regarding possible flight connections there are 3 options - Prague (PRG), Brno (BRQ) and Vienna (VIE), see example of flights to Prague http://timetables.oag.com/PRGRouteMapper/default.asp?lang=en
As Conference should be also extensive opportunity for networking, it has been already agreed with hotel, that lecture hall will be available also after lectures and it should give enough space for all Forumist to share also their own pictures.
Roztoky, elevation 175 m, West border of Czech capital Prague, by Vltava river

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2012, 09:52:24 PM »
Thank you Jiri, for this update. I am hoping...hoping and hoping I can make the trip.

A good idea to have after-the-lecture lectures. It is the great advantage of many people staying at the one accomodation venue, as they can all continue the Conference after hours. Who needs to sleep? ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2012, 06:58:30 AM »
I'm also going.  I emailed to the address as soon as it was given.  I hope it arrived.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Jiri Papousek

• Alpine parrot
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2012, 09:10:08 PM »
Hello Diane, of course you are on the list. It looks I rather confuse some people. Best way is just email to conference@czrgs.cz  like you did.
You just remind me, that we should devote some lecture with memories to Joyce, as she was great contributor to first conference and we really miss her now.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2012, 09:32:59 PM »

You just remind me, that we should devote some lecture with memories to Joyce, as she was great contributor to first conference and we really miss her now.

Some tribute to the late Joyce Carruthers would be a fine idea, Jiri .
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2012, 12:21:10 AM »
I have already started a quite comprehensive list of things to pack and things which must be done before this Conference. (I love lists :D) One item is "go to optometrist" and this one had to be brought forward to the top of the list as on Saturday when I put my specs on, they disintegrated totally.

Went to see him this morning and yes, I need new lenses, new frame and these plus consultation will cost enough to pay off half of Greece's debt. Never mind, at least it will be one of the most expensive items I can tick off the list.

angie

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2012, 09:24:20 AM »
I have already started a quite comprehensive list of things to pack and things which must be done before this Conference. (I love lists :D) One item is "go to optometrist" and this one had to be brought forward to the top of the list as on Saturday when I put my specs on, they disintegrated totally.

Went to see him this morning and yes, I need new lenses, new frame and these plus consultation will cost enough to pay off half of Greece's debt. Never mind, at least it will be one of the most expensive items I can tick off the list.

Sounds as if you are going to come Lesley  :). It will be so nice if you can. You also sound more organised than me. I usually leave everything else for the last minute and then I wonder how things go wrong. My friends Bill and Helen McGregor told me that they are also going.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2012, 09:41:57 AM »
I'd be happy if every forumist come. Wish I met all of you in real life.  :-*
Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

sippa

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2012, 08:37:56 PM »

Hi Jiri,

I just sent you an e-mail to register for the conference and the bus tour afterwards, I hope you will get it.  My husband Roland and I had such a wonderful fun time at the last conference in Beroun, so please count us in for this one.  Roland and Marianne Kuchel Fairlee, Vermont.

The tour and the gardens were great.
Marianne gardening in Vermont, USA

Julia

• Journal Access Group
  • Past SRGC President
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2012, 09:44:26 PM »
I would recommend everyone to go. I flew from Edinburgh airport last time with Susan and Jean Band and we had a great time looking at all the amazing gardens, lectures and the flower show. I will try and sort some pic's out and post them this week :)
Julia Corden
Head Gardener Goodwood Estate

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2012, 12:12:41 AM »
Angie, I'm still hoping but can't be sure until Jiri tells us the costs of the Conference itself plus accomodation and tours etc. Then I can raid what's left of my super fund. ??? At least this time I wouldn't be bringing home plants which would just about halve what I had to pay in 1981 and 1993 to the UK.

Jiri Papousek

• Alpine parrot
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2012, 09:05:11 AM »
Marianne and Roland, it will be pleasure to meet you again, you are on the list now.
Julia hope you will come as well.
Lesley, even I don't have yet final pricing, for sure it will be far cheaper then in UK and plant prices copy this as well .So in fact to come here means to save a lot of money  :D

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2012, 10:15:12 AM »
Margaret and Anton Edwards are also looking forward to the conference..... looks like a potentially large and happy turnout!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2012, 08:53:55 PM »
Thank you Jiri. I was hoping that would be the case, and with that in mind, I'll ask you to save a place for me on the post-Conference tour. It may be necessary (before the cut-off date) to cancel but I am a little more hopeful each day.

Now we have to make sure of a loving and reliable baby sitter for Maggi's girls. ;D

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal