We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Southport AGS  (Read 6542 times)

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
Re: Southport AGS
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2013, 10:35:21 PM »
A few more ...
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

veteran vet

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2013, 09:47:47 PM »

P.S. You can still post photos that are under the 200KB limit that are up to 760 pixels across- plenty big enough!  ;)

Maggi, I take your point but as most of my full data pictures are between 3-4MB, the hassle of getting them down below 200kb now takes a couple of hours when once I could edit and annotate the full size pictures, press edit, select all, 600 max dimension and hey presto I had the lot in less than 5 mins, now to keep below 200kb and yet have a picture that is close to the limit (otherwise you have such a small picture on the forum that its not worth looking at) you virtually have to single resize every one (or do continual batch resize to get below 200, editing in the ones that fit) is such a time consuming effort I have to wonder if it is worth it. If by chance you hit on 200kb dead on the server rejects these as too large.
Is just my point of view, others more technical may have an easier way

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2013, 09:56:36 PM »
Hi George,
I too used to batch resize my images and posted far more than I do now ... I now resize individually and it is a time consuming procedure that inhibits the hours I can spend putting presentations together or working in the garden.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2013, 10:02:18 PM »
I use ACDSee.  Ian suggests I batch resize as he can do with show pix but I prefer to do them one by one - I may do this only by setting a pixel size of 760 for the widest side, or by cropping and then setting a pixel size - it takes very little time. My full size photos are around 3 to 4 MB for the most part. I find that by selecting the pixel size they are invariably taken down to under 200kb and are ready for posting.
I have not got the technical expertise to explain why this might be- I only know it works!
Looking around the forum, the level of  fine detail possible in such resized photos is quite remarkable.

PS  As I mentioned elsewhere - A photo sized at 200kb will actually be a little larger when the data files are included and this will make it "over the limit" for posting.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 10:09:56 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Roma

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2013, 10:33:09 PM »
I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager and resize pictures individually.  640 by 480 pixels usually comes out below 200kb but I had three recently which were over the limit.  The original file sizes were about 6MB which is bigger than usual.  I do not know how this happened.  I have no idea what determines the file size when I take a photo ???  I am not very technically minded. 
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2013, 11:42:36 AM »
More on the photo resizing question :
I have just batch resized my snaps from the Czech Republic  - many were nearly 5 MB and all are now under the 200kb limit for the forum when resized to max 760 pixels wide.

Ian says that if you are not getting down to under 200Kb with resizing for the forum, using whatever programme you have, then you need to adjust the compression as well as selecting the  pixel size. Our ACDSee shows us this choice as a slider for "best compression to best quality" but others will vary, of course.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

JohnnyD

• Maxi-minigardenist
  • free at last!
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2013, 04:05:02 PM »
i have used an version of PictureIt10 which came free with Windows some years ago.
I find that if I simply reduce a pic to 5" x something it is fine. It is also very quick.
JohnnyD
John Dower, Frodsham, Cheshire.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal